Monomoy cut

JohnHuth

Hi, All - 

It's been some time since I did my last circumnavigation of Monomoy - so long that the previous cut filled in, and now there's a new cut.   Has anyone explored the new cut?   Any idea on what the current is at different tide stages?

I start with ensuring favorable current at Pollock rip (note it floods eastwards). In June, Minimoy channel was viable, but it's safer to go up to Stage Harbor light and then follow the beach east. There's now a new cut right at Chatham light. Just looked at Google earth, and it seems reasonably current. p.m. me for more details. I'd be interested in joining you.

I did my own scouting expedition to the new cut.   I launched at Morris Island Causeway.   It's surprisingly large - there was some current running there, but nothing bad.  There are some breakers in places where it's shallow.   

I suppose the most obvious feature of the new cut is the amount of boat traffic I saw.  This is, however, on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend - don't know *what* I was thinking.   It was like taking a hike on an Interstate Highway.   The cut has buoys in it, and a huge amount of traffic coming out of Stage Harbor went through there.   It seems pretty obvious that it's a lot easier to go through the cut than slog all the way around Monomoy.     

Also, a lot of people were fishing there, including seals - a lot of people were hooking up, so I'm guessing that the cut is good for that as well, mostly blues.   

On a more quiet day, it's definitely an option to try for a circumnavigation of Monomoy.   But on a busy day, the boat traffic is hair-raising.