Arrowsic/Georgetown ME CCW Circumnav., 8.8.17

gyork

I had long determined to complete the circumnavigation of Arrowsic/Georgetown islands, having only done the southern, Georgetown portion a few years ago, when I found myself running short on time to safely complete the voyage. Joe and David were still game paddling companions from the day before, and I was happy to know that Paul was going to join us for an 8 o'clock launch,  driving from his home in New Hampshire that morning.
While staging our boats and gear for the launch at the seaward Fort Popham beach, another kayaker was single-handedly hefting his boat down to the shore. We exchanged “Hi’s” and continued our business. It suddenly dawned on me that this gentle giant was Jason, whom I had invited a few days before. I apologized for not recognizing him without my spectacles, but I had not received a confirmation text that he was going to join us. Of course I gave him a big hug, and lamented that I had not seen him for some 10 years, on the initial, now-annual Jewell trip. I was so happy to know, as everyone does, that a fine paddling companion would be joining a stellar foursome.  

A relatively long paddle such as this requires careful consideration. The mouth of the Kennebec can get pretty ugly at times, and the segment through Lower Hells gate can be easy or difficult, depending on the timing. The tide cycle was right, and a counterclockwise route would avoid any southwest prevailing winds that might kick up in the afternoon, going in the opposite direction (outgoing tide versus opposing wind=chop) . For this trip, the Kennebec would turn “uphill” at 0827, ~2 hour beyond posted LT for Fort Popham(0616), and Lower Hell’s would turn “downhill” at 1315 . The plan allowed for a push from the flood up along the southwest coast of Georgetown Island, through Goose Rocks Passage, and through Lower Hell’s gate. When the tide turned we would use the natural flow of the Kennebec River to our advantage back to the launch. 

We launched at 8:15, just slightly beyond the pre-planned 8 o’clock target, to flat seas and a combination of drizzle and light fog.

IMGP0010.thumb.JPG.b5da0aeca2b5ce8d7ac49e7dfbd541f6.JPG

The paddling conversations were light, centered mostly on memories of experiences with former kayaking buddies from years past. Aside from some squirrely water through Goose Rock Passage, we made good time, and quickly found ourselves enjoying a quick lunch at the stand-up kitchen table at Beals island (south).

IMGP0013.thumb.JPG.08e2586be36724cc9b1a13ad55d5794d.JPG

Of course the ride through Lower Hell’s gate was uneventful at 1230, and we paddled onward through Hockomock Bay northwesterly, towards the opening of the Sasanoa river. We stumbled upon a motor-boating couple who were trying to make their way to Boothbay Harbor.  I shared my chart with them and told them just to follow the buoys down through Hell’s gate and beyond, but we ended up seeing them later on in the trip, heading back towards Bath. 

Within sight of upper Hell’s gate Dave exclaimed “Gary did you hear that?" I reminded him that my battery had died on my VHF, but he related that someone was trying to hail me on channel 72. “Is that Cath?” I asked. She had texted me that she would be looking for me at about the time we would be going through Upper Hell’s gate, and sure enough, she was stationed in an eddy at that location. A quick paddle brought her in sight, and we exchanged introductions with most. We chatted a bit and paddled as far as the bridge to the Kennebec, as Cath had to work that afternoon, and headed  back to her launch, just beyond the Taste of Maine restaurant. I was envious that Cath and Jason were paddling in their backyards! 

The rest of us headed across the Kennebec to more closely examine the Department of Offense’s newest WMD, a several billion dollar stealth destroyer-your tax dollars at work.  

IMGP0017.thumb.JPG.20965f58ffac0805e8fec399b994bf45.JPG

By this time, Old Sol had made his appearance in a big way, and we moseyed on to Doubling Point Light,

IMGP0018.thumb.JPG.f69b7701c15c8d761023d2fb21a29218.JPG

at about the exact time that the current graphs predicted we could now ride the ebb. I’m not sure why, but I was a bit surprised by the shoreline of the Kennebec,

IMGP0020.thumb.JPG.93a0f9d19839faecd0dd0accd8f0c61b.JPG

which resembled much of the Maine coastline that I have paddled, reflecting it’s huge tidal influence.

We enjoyed a couple of bald eagle sightings (perhaps the same one?), at one point within 10-20 feet above us, and paddled fairly lazily down the river,

IMGP0022.thumb.JPG.da1339c33725776ca5895869239add9a.JPG

rafting up at one point to enjoy a snack that Cath had entrusted Paul with–"fun size" chocolate M&Ms. At length, we had Fort Popham in view, and enjoyed a near-six-knot ride as the powerful river spit us out to the Fort beach-a fine day with finer companions.  IMGP0023.thumb.JPG.d95c9d1fb904af717ed3ec20af65c5b1.JPG

To squeeze more hours out of the day, we gathered at Montsweag Roadhouse, where Jason's wife Julie was able to join the gents for another supreme feast. Joe, Paul, and I made our way to Sherwood Forest Campground on Pemaquid point, set up our tents just before dark, and welcomed our friend Slumber in no time.

Link to Joe’s GPS track, courtesy of Gaia:  https://www.gaiagps.com/public/sXh4mBTzbNq467UoGLygc7ih

Parting thoughts: Though a fair distance (24M), this paddle is not particularly strenuous, given adequate preparation, as the tides and river currents will support your efforts. We could  easily have paddled the trip in the opposite direction from the same launch point, given the same forecast of light winds. However, a clockwise trip has the potential of a choppy ending if the typical southwest wind is up.

Local knowledge: 
-Fort Popham:  Parking is limited, but would suspect no issues if arriving before 0900.

-Montsweag roadhouse:  All enjoyed fine meals.  Joe’s ample, remaining portion served as next day’s breakfast. http://montsweagroadhouse.com

-Sherwood Forest campsite:  Reasonable rates, wi-fi, better ($0.25/5min) showers, 5 min walk to Pemaquid Beach http://www.sherwoodforestcampsite.com

-Thomas Point Beach Campground:  Spacious, affordable (~$20/tent, car, nite) tent camping, no mossies, decent $0.25/2min showers, deserted, mostly (why?)  http://www.thomaspointbeach.com/camping.shtml

Current forecast for crucial points:
-Doubling Point:  Doubling Point currents

-Popham:  Fort Popham currents

-Lower Hell:  Lower Hell gate currents