Seeking recommendation for car camping tent

prudenceb

After spending several weeks in a bomber four season one person tent about the size of a coffin, I'm looking to buy an on-the-cheap-side car camping tent that I can put a cot in and maybe stand up in, even if I'm hunched over.  Three season, and able to stay dry inside in a good rainstorm.  I was sure someone like LLBean would make something to fit that description, but they don't seem to.  REI has the Kingdom 4,  but it costs over $350.  Anyone have any recommendations.  I'm thinking Coleman or Eureka or....?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Prudence

We just spent 5 days in our LL Bean 4 person tent, likely made by Eureka. We bought it on sale at the LLBean Outlet in Freeport. Great tent that most likely is 5 or 6 years old.

You can stand up in it, it has loads of room for "stuff", it's easy to put up, but it doesn't have a vestibule. Our friend who shared the site with us had a Eureka with two entrances.

• 3 weeks later...

A good tent is worth it's weight in gold (when it is raining sideways...).  As soon as you get tall, you are presenting a side wall for wind to hit and collapse the tent in heavy driving winds and rain. Just back from Cape Breton where we car camped and upon waking in the morning, loads of sites had cleared out.  Perhaps they were going early in the morning anyway but I suspect the sideways rain may have encouraged an earlier departure.  While there, we saw loads of tall tents.  The tall ones that looked like they would do a good job were the Marmot brand tents.  They were the only ones that had a rain fly that went to the ground.  

The Vector XL tents from LL Bean get good reviews. They have 4 and 6 person tents. LL Bean is having a 25% off Labor Day sale until 9/5 too (for purchases over $50). I just experimented with the code (LABORDAY) and it does work for these tents, and likely all of them. At least you know the return policy is good! 

I have been a long time REI member and fan but my REI Quarterdome tent started leaking buckets after a few seasons of very moderate use. When I called customer service to ask if there was something I could do with the rain fly to make it waterproof again I was told that they only expect tents to last 6 years. I don't think I had even had it that long, and I know it only had light and careful use,  but I didn't pursue it any further. My REI Passage has been a good tent for me, but has started leaking too, so I am not sure I would recommend an REI tent. 

I hope you have lots of good trips with whatever you pick out. 

Edited by Cath
correction

I would take the REI tent back to the store, especially if you're a member, and see if they'll exchange it for you. The whole reason to buy a premium price for gear at REI (for me at least) is to be able to exchange or return it if it fails. As long as you dry a tent out before storing it, should last more than a handful of uses.

I had a Sierra Designs tent which had minimal use and was well cared for but the waterproof coating delaminated from the rain fly.  REI in Cranston RI was very uncooperative, the Framingham store did an exchange but only after I pointed out I had the receipt and it was before they changed their policy on returns.  I have been a member of REI for many years but the experience soured me on them.

• 2 weeks later...

Even better, when you buy a car camping tent you can use a tarp as the ground cloth, or in over-priced marketing speak, a footprint. Saves you about $100. 

On 9/16/2017 at 7:12 PM, Bob C said:

Even better, when you buy a car camping tent you can use a tarp as the ground cloth, or in over-priced marketing speak, a footprint. Saves you about $100. 

Just be careful if you use a tarp to make sure that it's cut or folded not to extend out past the bottom of the tent as it will direct the water under your tent and create can make of a wet nights sleep.