Scituate

Jim Snyder

I have to travel to Scituate sometime in the next two weeks to buy some concrete pipe. I will have an 18' trailer for the pipe. I plan to combine this with a kayak trip. I am interested in any local knowledge of kayaking out of Scituate and hoping to find someone interested in paddling with me. Date is flexible to conditions but I probably couldn't get down there much before 10:30.

Couple places to put in: 1) Scituate Harbor - I like to go all the way out to the lighthouse and launch from the beach there, just inside the jetty. But there is also a public boat launch farther into the harbor. Hard to find parking at that launch. From the harbor, you can go south toward New Inlet or north past Egypt Beach which has the coolest cobble beach going. 2) New Inlet - launch from the driftway on the Herring River (good parking, boat launch at all tides), paddle about a mile or so out to the convergence of North and South Rivers with the ocean. Always an interesting place, if you like current and waves. 

Unless your 10:30 is on a weekend, I can't join you, sorry to say. I have kayaked at both places solo multiple times, no problem.

Thanks Kate, sadly my trip has to be on a weekday to buy my pipe at Scituate Concrete Pipe. Looks like the Herring River trip would be really tide dependent. I Like the look of the lighthouse parking lot, looks like if It's not busy it would be easy to park my truck and trailer.