Walden Wednesday (August 2nd, 2017)

billvoss

We had a great time last week at Walden.  The forecast looks good if a little hot for this Wednesday.  I'll plan to arrive around 4pm assuming someone else posts they want to join me.

With a predicted high of 89 degrees Walden may be very popular this Wednesday.  So same plan B as last week.  If sometime this Wednesday Walden tweets that they are closed, this week's plan B experiment is the Lowell Rd boat ramp which Google Maps describes as 181-299 Lowell Rd, Concord, MA 01742, about a 7 minute drive from Walden Pond which was discussed in this previous Walden thread.  Basically, if I see online before I leave  that Walden has closed even if they plan to reopen, or if I find myself locked out of Walden when I arrive, I'm heading to the Lowell Rd boat ramp hoping to find a friendly face joining me there.  Otherwise I will enjoy Walden's waters where Dan has assured me:

On 7/20/2017 at 0:58 PM, Dan Foster said:

How is the water quality? I'm no expert, but I know for a fact that fish pee in all three of those rivers, whereas at Walden they're supposed to use the bathhouse.

If you haven't attended before, see the NSPN Calendar Entry for other useful details.

Bill

I am planning on Walden.  I, too., will monitor and will go according to tweets.  I am flexible and will go early and read my book if its real busy.  Two weeks ago they were to reopen at 2 so i got there around 2:15 and got in no trouble.

Jane

On 7/31/2017 at 0:39 PM, billvoss said:

The forecast looks good if a little hot for this Wednesday.

Now that I've packed my car, I checked the forecast.  Do we cancel?

Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce small hail, gusty winds, and heavy rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 85. South wind 7 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

I haven't started loading my boat yet, and won't until 3PM given the uncertainty. We've had a few thunderclaps, and there are ominous clouds popping up despite the sunshine.

Given this flash flood warning from NOAA, I would probably cancel. I don't have to make my go/no-go decision until 3. You or Jane can call it before then.

Thunderstorms with torrential downpours are expected into this
afternoon. Rainfall rates of 1 to 2 inches an hour are possible.
Storm total rainfall amounts could get as high as 3 inches in
spots.

I am just getting my boat on the car and it suddenly got dark and some thunder. Looking at the forecast I'm just not sure. I really want to go and if it was just rain I'd say who cares. Thunder on the other hand???  Is Walden even open with thunder?

Boo but probably wise

i desperately wanted to go this week as I won't be able to go next week and I wanted to see if my suddenly reappearing roll ( it reappeared the week you got locked out) was a mirage or was for real. 

I suspect the lifeguards clear the swimming beach, but they probably can't kick everyone out or clear the pond of open swimmers or paddlers. (But I've never been there for a thunderstorm)

See some of you next week.

Edited by Dan Foster

Given the amount of hail, lightning, and torrential rain that just passed through, I think we made the right call to cancel today's Walden session. I hope nobody got caught out in that, or in the cells to follow!