Saddleback Weekend 2017, July 14th-17th

Kyle.Martin

Saddleback 2017 trip photo album  (please feel free to add to album) 

The third annual Saddleback weekend took place from July 14th through the 17th. An eclectic group of NSPNers took part this year including myself traveling to the Stonington archipelago for a downeast adventure. The Maine Coast Heritage Trust cabin on Saddleback island served as the base of operations.

Two starting points for the journey were established as Old Quarry in Stonington and the Wooden Boat school in Brooklyn. A larger number of us departed from Wooden Boat. We were to rendezvous with the remaining group at Saddleback later that evening.

The Wooden Boat group enjoyed a pleasant launch in gentle conditions. We passed Lazygut, Eastern Mark, and Shingle islands as well as Stinson’s Neck. Greeting us at the cabin was the Old Quarry group who had just arrived. We were treated that evening to a Thai coconut curry dinner prepared by Joe.

Saturday morning offered cloudy but calm conditions. The nickel tour of the Stonington islands was the preferred route of the day. Two groups of clockwise and counterclockwise were established.  Lunch was enjoyed on Steve’s island where the counter group was joined by the wise along with a new friend they met on the water that had launched from Old Quarry that day. The evening concluded with a very tasty dinner prepared by Shari of Tikka Masala.

The plan for the following day was a circumnavigation of Isle Au Haut. We were greeted in the early morning by pea soup thick fog. Undeterred we set of to hop our way down the islands to the northern tip of Isle Au Haut. Hand railing our way down the East side we were welcomed by exciting conditions and unrelenting fog that only broke partially for brief periods. After reaching the southern tip and breaking for lunch on the sandbar between Western Head and Western Ear, we began the ascent up the western side. This rewarded clearing skies, flooding tide, and gentle tail wind. The largely anticipated evening meal was chili with all appropriate accouterments prepared by Jane and corn chowder prepared by Catherine.

Strava stats Isle Au Haut paddle

Monday morning reared its head to reveal ultra thick fog again. Both groups from Old Quarry and Wooden Boat had a lazy morning of packing up and saying our goodbyes to the island and each other departing mid-morning. After several harrowing channel crossings in dense fog, the Wooden Boat group reached the finish line just in time for the fog to lift. Our group elected Young’s Lobster in Belfast for some post paddle nourishment. We were joined by Yong from the Old Quarry group who detailed their adventurous yet successful return. 

Much thanks to Gary for reserving the cabin and all participants for this epic experience. All seemed to thoroughly enjoy their too short a stay in this stunning place. 

Edited by Kyle.Martin

I wondered about all the kayaks I was meeting as I headed home from Brooklin after a six day journey.  Once I saw the School Bus, I knew it was a collection of NSPNers. From pictures it appears you experienced classic Stonington fog  as well as great sunny days for paddling. In other words, the whole deal.  As Huth indicated on another thread, MCHT provides some very nice places to camp and visit with Saddleback being right up there. 

Ed Lawson