Lobster, Light and Ledges - Saturday July 29th - TRIP CHANGED

cfolster

Plan is to put in at York Harbor around 10 or 10:30, paddle to Nubble Light - eat at Fox's takeout (has more than just lobster) or bring your lunch.

Continue on to Cape Neddick Harbor just to explore.

Paddle back to the put in via Long Sands (not landing) - did you know you can surf at the northern end of that beach?

Perhaps noodle amongst the rocks along the way.

This is a led (not CAM) trip.  Please post here if interested.

11 hours ago, Pamela Powers said:

Cathy , I'm interested. What is the parking situation at York harbor? Do you have a link to it?

Parking is on Harris Island Road along the street, but not in the permit spaces - so it means we're a little farther down, but it's easy to drop boats and then drive a bit down the street.

Google view here:  https://www.google.com/maps/place/Harris+Island+Rd,+York,+ME+03909/@43.133447,-70.6478925,193m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89e2ba405abe38a1:0x26f0211fca4c0277!8m2!3d43.1313337!4d-70.6475809?hl=en

23 hours ago, nancysan said:

If weather looks good, I'm thinking about joining. What is estimated length of entire trip?

It's about 9 miles round trip if we just go to the lighthouse and back.  12 miles if we extend to Cape Neddick Harbor.  I think more than some trips, this one is weather dependent.  I'll be updating around Wednesday when there's a better idea of Saturday's weather.  I'm also thinking of alternatives with more bailout options if this one is a no go.

All,

The forecast is looking 'interesting' for Saturday with N/NE 10kts, gusts up to 25.  Seas 3-4 feet.  

That will make for a challenging paddle to the Nubble and possibly make it so we cannot land there.

Options: 

1. One way trip from Cape Neddick public launch to York Harbor - with possible stop at Nubble if seas permit.  This will still be a very sporty trip with choppy waves and wind behind us.  It may mean a 12 mile trip with no option to stop
  2. Postpone to another day.

Those who have shown interest - please weigh in as I continue to watch the weather.

40 minutes ago, billvoss said:

I like the swell, and can cope with the wind.  However, the "no option to stop" aspect concerns me.

It concerns me as well.

i don't really want to paddle against the wind very much.  Perhaps we can think of a friendlier trip, one way or not.

How about a Gerrish counterclockwise circumnav from Kittery area?  If we launched at 10:30, went out and up to braveboat, stop for play and  lunch, is that enough time for the flood to get going (I don't do it enough to know)?

other option is one way Portsmouth to Rye.

id probably choose the circumnav, but someday would like to try a one way.

Saturday
Partly sunny. Highs in the lower 70s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 30 mph.
Saturday Night
Mostly clear. Lows in the mid 50s. Northeast winds around 10 mph with gusts up to 20 mph.

NE gusts up to 30 mph does not sound promising for the outside of Gerrish.

NOAA marine point forecast is for 2-3 ft at 8 sec, wind NE 15-16 kt, gusts to 23.

MSW for Long Sands predicts 1-2 ft surf, 2 ft primary swell at 4-5 sec from E, 9-11 sec secondary swell from SE

I'm trying to think of how/where we can go to enjoy this rather than just slogging into wind chop.  Haven't come up with a brainstorm yet.

29 minutes ago, eneumeier said:
Saturday
Partly sunny. Highs in the lower 70s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 30 mph.
Saturday Night
Mostly clear. Lows in the mid 50s. Northeast winds around 10 mph with gusts up to 20 mph.

NE gusts up to 30 mph does not sound promising for the outside of Gerrish.

I was willing to give the wind a go for that stretch, because it's mostly pushing us towards shore, but Robert also reminded me that we'd have to get under the flooding culvert, which could be difficult - so would have to portage over the road.

There's just nowhere to hide from the NE wind unless you get up above Portland.

The one way looks most promising.  The wind and waves will be at our backs.  The waves will be 2 to 3 foot 4 to 5 second wind waves, so will be sporty.  I realize it's a bit of a hassle to move cars about, but don't see another way to get on the water without paddling against the wind.(enjoy the music - if you just let it play, it will go through most of his good stuff!)

I'm going to make the call that the trip will be:  One way from York Harbor to Kittery (Pepperell Cove launch).  It's just a bit over 8 miles.  There is a portapotty at York Harbor and full bathroom at Pepperell Cove.

Plan:

9:15  Cathy and Person X2 arrive at launch, get ready and load boats with gear

9:45  Others arrive to watch boats while Cathy and Person X2 Drive to Pepperell Cove to drop cars (about 25 min round trip on 103)

10:15 Cathy and Person X2 arrive back at York Harbor in one car.

10:30 Launch - paddle down coast - play, stop at Braveboat Harbor, check in on Wood Island renovation

XXpm Arrive at Pepperell Cove.  Boats loaded onto Cathy's Car (3) and trailer (4) (and Person Xs car  if needed)

XXpm Drive back to York Harbor (10 min)

2. If we have a lot of people, more than 2 of us will need to have cars at Pepperell Cove (probably school parking lot) because we need to fit people and gear into the cars.

If you're up for this trip, please let me know and send your float plan info by 5pm today.  I'll need a volunteer to be Person X2.

Cathy,

i know you are looking for a trip, however.  One option is launch at Fort Foster, playing in conditions and checking out Wood if desired. Get to practice in conditions, practice land and launch in waves, no travel logistics, play in rocks, etc.

just a thought

dave

16 hours ago, cfolster said:

How about a Gerrish counterclockwise circumnav from Kittery area?

FYI, I asked my friend Jerry who regularly runs Gerrish counterclockwise trips.  He wrote back:

Doesn't bode well for a counterclockwise Gerrish assault on Sat. You want to be at Brave Boat Harbor about an hour before high tide to push you thru the estuary and pull you thru Chauncey Creek at the change over to ebb. A high in that area between 9 and 11 works well since you have less wind on the outside that early in the morning hence running counter works. Thing is if your off by a few hours there won't be enough water to pass over Chauncey without tearing up your hull. The weekend tides won't be right until around August 5th. This weeks low tides are dead smack in the time slots you need high water.

PS I'm now running the trip from Fort Foster because of the parking situation at Pepprell cove. Fosyer has a park entrance fee of $10 per car. We launch from the Scuba Beach lot which has a bit of a carry to the beach which is mostly cobble stone around high water but it's worth the fee and the carry to avoid the wind when your working with intermediate level paddlers.

At Pepperrell, since the convenience store was sold, at least last year the new owner did not want people parking in the lot and grass across the street.  You might get lucky and snag one of the boat ramp spots not reserved for town residents (paid parking).  Though I don't recall any of them accommodating trailers.  The other parking alternative is the Horace Mitchell Primary School some blocks away.  Walk there and then drive down to the boat ramp to collect gear.  Google map.

Note, when doing a white-water shuttle, while we might throw kayaks into the back of a pickup truck or onto a trailer if available.  Usually the shuttle just transfers the drivers not the gear from one end to the other.  It is much more common to leave most cars at the destination, not the put-in, but that is certainly not required.  However, I would encourage sending as many cars as possible to the take-out, and just leaving whomever happens to be running late to guard gear at the put-in.  While sea kayakers describe a trip as BIB at 10:30am, the white-water equivalent would be SHUTTLE at 10:30am.  For WW, the briefing and launch happen whenever the shuttle happens to finish.

1 hour ago, cfolster said:

If you're up for this trip, please let me know and send your float plan info by 5pm today.

I'm in.  No change to my float plan info from last week.  (Sorry, while I'll happily shuttle if I arrive early, I'm not volunteering to set my alarm even earlier than planned.)