Brunton compass condensation

gyork

I purchased a used boat recently, and found the deck-mounted compass to have condensation inside the globe.  The compass appears quite different than mine; smaller rotating mechanism, smaller numbers.  Was this compass never oil-filled?  Will condensation always be a problem?  How to remove the condensation?  If the globe is plastic, can I drill a tiny pinhole, expose to sun on a dry day, and seal with whathaveyou?

IMGP0002.thumb.JPG.b135340bfee1c2a26c26949e84e01df3.JPG

My guess is that the oil leaked out. If you take out the compass is there a plug on the globe?

Just did a bit of research. Brunton has a support address on the web, and the compasses have a lifetime warranty. Amazon has 70P compasses for half price just now, perhaps the expedient solution. 

Brunton compasses are filled with mineral spirits (a.k.a. "paint thinner"), not oil. It should not leak out and there shouldn't be any air it it. Brunton will probably cover this under warranty if you contact them. If not, there is a screw plug on the bottom of the compass for filling and draining it. If you attempt this, remove the plug and verify that the liquid inside is in-fact mineral spirits (the scent is distinctive). Drain out whatever is left in it, refill it, then put the plug back in. That should be all that's necessary.

7 hours ago, prudenceb said:

Hope the School Bus isn't jealous.  What did you get and why? 

School Bus (Argonaut) is happy to have her little sister (Aquanaut) as a playmate.  Hoping to get my Niels into kayaking.

2 hours ago, Brian Nystrom said:

Brunton compasses are filled with mineral spirits (a.k.a. "paint thinner"), not oil. It should not leak out and there shouldn't be any air it it. Brunton will probably cover this under warranty if you contact them. If not, there is a screw plug on the bottom of the compass for filling and draining it. If you attempt this, remove the plug and verify that the liquid inside is in-fact mineral spirits (the scent is distinctive). Drain out whatever is left in it, refill it, then put the plug back in. That should be all that's necessary.

Thanks Brian.  Yeah, a volatile liquid like mineral spirits makes sense.  A slow leak likely would go unnoticed, unlike a messy oil, that would surely steam you if dripped onto your front hatch contents.

• 5 weeks later...