11TH Annual New To Sea Kayaking Workshop Series

jmcotton

We just completed a very successful New To Sea Kayaking Workshop series with a great group of enthusiastic attendees! The series started with a 3 hour workshop on April 30th held at Newbury Kayak (thanks Newbury!). A big thank you to Kevin Beckwith for organizing and leading the whole series again this year, and for hauling his trailer and boats to loan out to each event. 

We had 25 enthusiastic people attend the workshop with varying degrees of Kayaking knowledge. The youngest attendee was 16!  Kevin, Bob Levine, Cathy Folster and John Monroe presented at the workshop with supportive help from Mike Habich, Alex Debski and myself. Highlights of the workshop included Kevin starting it off getting everyone talking and participating. We moved outside where there were lots of kayaks to learn about and climb in and out. Bob and Cathy led an interactive challenge for dressing (not literally) and gearing up to a variety of conditions  using a massive pile of gear and clothing (mostly clean I think)!  John demo'd what a well equipped ocean kayaker takes out on a paddle. 

The pool session on May 7th was held at the  Haverhill High School pool. Eleven people signed up for the pool session. Everyone did wet exits, assisted and self rescues and even a few rolls!  I was really impressed with everyone's willingness to try it all out, especially several people who had little or no Kayaking experience. Rob and Cathy, Mike, Alex and myself happily got wet taking everyone through their paces along with Kevin. 

The sun came out for the Chebacco Lake session on June 1ST and again 11 people showed up!  Kevin got everyone organized and practicing strokes and braces and capturing each other's boats. He then moved on to getting people comfortable in their kayaks with a trust exercise where everyone stood up in their kayak with a partner bracing them. Cathy, Rob, Bob, Mike, Bill Voss, Alex and I helped out. Rick of course was also there instructing people individually. Don't forget the lake sessions will continue all summer on Thursdays after work, along with Walden Pond on Wednesdays and on (many) Tuesdays after work at Odiorne Point, Rye, NH. 

The Ocean paddle was on Saturday June 3rd out of Riverside Beach, Marblehead. Again we had 11 enthusiastic people signed up for the paddle with Kevin, Bob, Al Coons, Alex, Shari and myself helping out. We all paddled off into choppy seas with 2 foot swells out to Children's Island. We landed for a break and then headed towards Grays Rock where half the group stayed for awhile to play in the rocks while the other half headed to Dolliber Cove and Browns Island. We all had lunch on Browns Island, enjoying the impressive view while hearing about the successful rescue at Grays rock after an unintentional flip. We headed back to our put in, finishing off a delightful paddle and series to clearing skies.  Thanks to everyone who participated!  If anyone has pictures, please post them!  I will attempt to post some of mine soon! 

I wasn't able to attend the workshop, pool, or lake sessions, but I joined the group for the ocean paddle in Marble Head.  It was awesome!  There were 17 of us and plenty of support from all of the volunteers.  I satisfied myself that I've got the first part of the roll down as I was the only one to get wet that day.  As is sometimes the case in these situations, my skirt didn't quite release as fast as I expected (sorry Kevin for the mild heart attack), but Kevin, Al, and Alex quickly went to work and did an expert rescue and it felt like I was barely in the 55 deg water.   Got to test out my dry suit and it worked - I was warm and dry.  Can't emphasize enough the need to dress for water temp, not air temp!

This is a great group of folks and can't thank Kevin and all of the others who volunteered their time to help us newbies out!  Looking forward to paddling with you again and working on the second half of that roll :)

-Bob D.

Edited by BigBird

Yes, this sounds terrific. Since Jeff Charrette is hosting some after- work paddle sessions  from Odiorne soon, these would be a great "next step"  for attendees to consider: an opportunity to paddle in Little Harbor (nice protected area, perfect for practice ) with the option to venture out  a bit , conditions allowing,  beyond the jetty to the more open outer harbor. 

Peter, thnak you for mentioning these practice sessions. The Odiorne sessions will a great opportunity, for those who are new to sea kayaking, to continue to develop skills learned in the workshop, and hopefully pick up a few new tricks. I want to encourage all skill levels to attend so there should be plenty of experienced paddlers there to help mentor some of the newer folks.