New Hampshire salt water practice sessions!

Jeff Charette

Introducing a New Hampshire practice session.

When - Tuesdays - 5pm launch (see dates listed below)

Where - Odiorne Point, Rye, NH

Launch at 5pm from Odiorne boat launch, Rt 1A, Rye, NH.  Paddle out to Little Harbor where we can practice strokes, rolling, rescues, stupid kayak tricks, falling out of your boat, and anything else we can think of. All skill levels are welcome, and encouraged to attend. My goal is to develop this into a practice session where, in the spirit of NSPN,  we will have plenty of experienced folks willing to assist and encourage the lesser experienced paddlers. Bring boat, paddle, pfd, and any gear you would like to practice with, or gear you would like to learn to use.

For those who are new to kayaking, and looking for some salt water paddling experience, when conditions allow we can end each session with a short paddling trip.

While Little Harbor is a great salt water venue to practice in, it is really only suitable for rolling and rescues during the upper half of the tide cycle, therefore this will not be a weekly session. I have identified Tuesdays throughout the season when the tide is favorable for practicing these skills, and listed the dates below. These dates will also be posted to the NSPN calendar. 

Please remember, ocean water in our area will never warm up like the area lakes do. Dress for the water temperature. Dry suits required for the June session. 

Scheduled dates:

6/20              HT  8:21pm

7/18              HT  6:57pm

8/1                HT  7:25pm

8/15              HT  5:36pm

8/29              HT  5:43pm

9/12              HT  4:18pm

9/26              HT  4:05pm

Launch times for these practice sessions will be 5:00pm. If you would like to attend but cannot arrive in time for a 5:00 launch, no worries. When you get there paddle out into Little Harbor and look for the kayakers.

If you plan to attend one or more of these sessions please reply to this thread.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jeff,

I will take note of these dates and see if I can join-in.  Either way, thanks for providing another venue !

Cheers, Sue

I'll be able to make some of these beginning in July. Thank you for setting this up, Jeff. 

• 3 weeks later...

Weather forecast for tomorrow looks like rain in the morning then clearing in the afternoon, so the Odiorne practice session is still on. I plan to be there a little before 5:00. Hoping to see several others there also.

Odiorne practice session is tonight at 5:00. Weather forecast calls for clearing skies throughout the day. Air temps in the low 80s and water temps in the high 50s, so plan to dress accordingly. All skills levels are welcome and encouraged to attend. Hope to see several paddlers tonight. If you would like to attend but can't make it by 5:00, no problem. Paddle out into Little Harbor and look for the kayaks. 

HT at 8:21pm

The NH practice session at Odiorne Point was off to a good start last night, with 5 paddlers braving the somewhat chilly water. Next session is July 18, and I'm sure the water will be quite a bit warmer by then. Looking forward to seeing several paddlers there.

• 4 weeks later...

Practice session at Odiorne Point is on for this Tuesday. The water temp is warming up, 64 degrees. I plan the be there in time for a 5:00 launch. Come out and practice rescues, rolling, and stupid kayak tricks. All skill levels are welcome.

Right now the weather looks decent, with clearing skies in the afternoon. I will monitor the weather and post any changes here.

If you plan to attend please post interest here.

Weather forecast calls for a slight chance of afternoon showers or t-storms. Right now I am still planning for a 5:00 launch, however if the chance for t-storms increases and we need to cancel I will post here before 3:00. If you are planning to attend please check here for updates.