Muscle Ridge Sept 22-24, 2017, Lobster Buoy Campsites

gyork

Come out and camp/paddle during the most pleasant season! Home Base will be Lobster Buoy Campsites in S. Thomaston, Maine, gathered at the Group Site ($8/head and $5/car per nite). Arrive Friday, leave Sunday. Paddling options abound: NE to Owls Head, SE to Muscle Ridge, or SW to Port Clyde. These trips are not appropriate for beginners. Minimal skills to participate include wet exit, self and assisted rescue, and previous experience in ocean paddling with conditions of wind up to 10K, waves to 2 feet, and crossings up to 1.5M. Typical pot-luck Friday evening buffet (proper attire please) for those so inclined to participate. Saturday is often a “go into Town” for supper, for those inclined. This trip is cross-posted to NSPN/MITA/SMSKN/and NSK to encourage participation from friendly paddlers from all these groups. Rather than limit numbers from each group, I will set the limit to 15 FOR THE GROUP SITE ONLY. Your spot will be secured when I receive payment via paypal (gyorkattdsdotnet) or check (private message me). PLEASE DO NOT RSVP ON CALENDAR UNTIL YOU HAVE SENT YOUR PAYMENT.

There are plenty of private sites (2 adults, 1 tent, 1 vehicle and 2 children under 12; $28/nite plus tax) available if you prefer, or if the group site fills to capacity. Please make arrangements directly with Lobster Buoy Campsites @ 207.594.7546, and PM me that you plan to participate.

Link to last year’s trip: http://www.nspn.org/forum/topic/11354-5th-annual-muscle-weekend-nspnmitasmskn/

Link to pix of previous trip: https://get.google.com/albumarchive/104527482892165688266/album/AF1QipPGWAx1Kmzwr5WtNHH4tP3Rv_u_ZXcc2VgTBcvy

musclerdg.thumb.png.9e3e062f45923886cc28a4de1ad24ec2.png

Edited by gyork

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last call for a spot in the group camping area at Lobster Buoy campsites. I need to receive your payment by September 20 at the very latest, either by mail or by PayPal.

Although I am the event initiator for this outing, I will not be organizing or leading every trip. I expect participants to come with ideas for a trip and to take leadership responsibilities. Having said that, I plan a short paddle on Friday, launching at 1 PM. On Saturday I can lead a trip to either owls head or tenants Harbor.  My expectations for participants is that you are proficient in wet exit, self rescue, assisted rescue, and can paddle in 10 knot winds, and 2-3 foot seas.

When you arrive at the campsite, proceed directly to the managers home, which is located at the northern most corner of the campground. As you come down the hill, take your first left, and before turning on the next right, her house is the grey shingled house with a wood pile to the left. Everyone must sign an "agreement" at the office. When done, proceed down that road to the launch area, where you can unload your boat and  gear. Refer to Google maps, satellite edition, to be familiar with the layout.

Those who plan to participate in Friday night pot-luck dinner, please state your intentions and contributions here, so others can plan accordingly. Saturday is "on your own", though we often head into Rockland for a meal. If the latter, it would be prudent to know Saturday morning how many are participating, to make a reservation.

gary