Free Kayak Training Opportunity, Moderate Water

Kevin B (RPS Coach)

I am looking for a group of 10-12 paddlers of various skill levels from which I can create groups of at least 4 to attend free moderate water training sessions that I am putting together.  These will not follow CAM but will instead be lead trips with the central focus of coaching in moderate water.   You need not be able to roll but must have a sea kayak complete with bulkheads and deck lines. If you're interested, please send me a PM. I would prefer that you be a paid up member of NSPN.  If you have any questions, please feel free to post here or send me a PM.  

Moderate water may include any of the following:

Moderate Inland Water (relevant to Open Canoe, Touring, and Sea):

Large areas of open water; up to 500 metres off shore and in wind strengths that do not exceed Beaufort force 4. Canals, ungraded sections of rivers, and moving water that has a discernible green flow. The shooting of weirs, playing on weirs and running rapids are excluded from this definition. 

Moderate Tidal Water/Sea (relevant to Sea):

A stretch of coastline with available landings every one to two miles or one hour paddling, including areas where it is not easy to land. Crossings not exceeding two nautical miles. Up to 2 knots of tide (but not involving tide races or overfalls). Winds not exceeding Beaufort force 4. Launching and landing through surf (up to 1 metre, trough to crest height).

Moderate Surf (relevant to Surf):

Area: Sections of sandy beaches free from significant hazard (e.g. rocks and strong rips) and with easy access.

Character: Gentle, sloping and spilling waves, preferably peeling. Not pitching or dumping.

Height: Wave height should be no more than double overhead i.e. the height of the surfer when seated in a kayak in the trough of the wave (head high for a stand up surfer). 

I'm going to post my responses to those who have sent me PM's in case others have similar questions.

"This training is appropriate for everyone and will likely include folks with a wide range of experience and abilities.   As for dates, it will depend on the weather as certain conditions are needed to make the outings "moderate".  Folks can attend one outing or all of them."