Snorkeling and kayaks?

Snorkeling was mentioned as an option in the current fishing post.

This is something I have been wanting to do more of and would be very interested in joining any others for a snorkeling trip. We have the neoprene ......Can even anchor our kayaks or tow them.

Off Gerrish Island has some nice areas, Brave boat harbor, off the beaches, maybe the Nubble? Post interest here, thx

In summer Woods Hole typically gets a peanut bunker 'invasion'. I routinely carry goggles and encourage paddlers to just put them on, roll over to watch the millions of 3" fish,  and just roll back up. Most absolutely love it. it's also a great way to observe molas, turtles, basking sharks and whatever other sea life we come across.

• 2 weeks later...

Per Josko's post, when I was in the Yucatan,  we would paddle, don the  snorkeling gear and roll over relax breathing with the snorkel and let the show go by.  It was pretty cool. Slightly limiting for the deep critters but really fun.  

I would like to know when the peanut bunker invasion is at Woods Hole.  

Edited by glad
wanted to add more info

• 1 month later...

tarpon creek sugarloaf key fla....mangrove cut between the gulf  / atlantic side....hundred and hundreds of thousands of small fish and critters in among the mangrove roots, clear, moving water, warm...roll over, watch em all and roll back up or just hope in, tether off and move along in the current.....amazing.

Would people come to Woods Hole for a fish-viewing-snorkel-rolling trip? Right now, there are 3 lb bluefish EVERYWHERE. In a month or so we should have our usual invasion of peanut bunker, and then a crop of Molas in the sound.  I'd be glad to keep an eye on things and post a trip in prime fish-viewing season. 

For the slightly braver, we usually get a crop of basking sharks in the sound in late June, and for the brave-brave, I'd be glad to arrange a Monomoy trip with hopefully a close-up (inverted) look at a great white. 

• 2 months later...

The peanut bunker are in Buzzards bay in their usual millions. I was surfing yesterday and got to see dozens of them flitting in the back of the waves I was surfing toward. Very cool.

(We still have silversides by the millions, too.)

Edited by josko

Well this wasn't exactly snorkeling. I was trolling along the Palm beaches and spotted feeding tarpon (about four to five feet long). I just held my camera under water in video mode and this is what I got. Later I hooked one; it pulled me over, I failed a roll and lost my rod and reel (I don't lanyard my equipment to the boat because of sharks)