Kayak stern eye loosening

leong

The stern eye that the stern toggle is attached to is starting to wiggle. It’s almost 5 feet from the back of the stern hatch cover so can’t reach under to tighten it. The only solution I can think of is to train a squirrel to use a ratchet wrench.:D

Any ideas out there?

-Leon

IMGP0054a.thumb.jpg.da66714735d283c447b416e71db1d7ba.jpg

IMGP0002c.jpg.49d41fcd823c933a16f30a944340badb.jpg

Leon,

If the squirrel doesn't cooperate, I've used a similar approach to this to resolve a tight-quarters maneuver.

1. Tape your smart phone or video camera to a pole or stick of sufficient length to see what the underside in fact looks like. You may need supplemental lighting. 

2. Assuming there are two nuts on either end of the u-bolt, secure a ratchet wrench to a sturdy, yet trim piece of pipe and patiently give it a go.

3. Consider  providing extra security to keep the socket from getting knocked off the wrench  I might consider loctite or a substitute.  

4. I'd also probably opt for turning the boat over to allow the wrench to "drop" onto the nut

In all likelihood much easier said than done.

Good luck!

David

Thanks, David. Good idea. I'd first call QCC (the boat's manufacturer) to get more information about the nut size (not for the squirrel), type and what's down there. So far the stern eye is just wiggling very slightly and I don't use it to carry the boat.

-Leon

The hard part will be to seat a socket on an unseen nut over 4 feet away. I think I need something like an endoscope with a remotely controlled wrench. I guess it will be cheaper to buy a new kayak. I'll probably wait until the eye comes out and install something from the outside (a watertight toggle bolt?).

Use duct tape to push the loop down tight which should create a gap under washers or washer plate. Invert and place stern down in such a way that you could dribble epoxy around bolt and have it stay for the cure period.( I reach down with a dixie cup 1/2 full) Needed epoxy should stay put and some may not bond and fall away over time.

You could remove, fill and rework the toggle?

Leon, An aside... Thanks for the pics of FLA a few weeks back....here is my boat shed at the same time

010d5e42e8c860372f91d0a0511610853c625a8934.jpg

7 hours ago, cfolster said:

Excellent, Cathy. They they even have squirrels wearing little pink work clothes.

Thanks,

-Leon

6 hours ago, jason said:

Bring the boat to Maine, I have long arms...

I may have to do that. I'll measure the span.

1 hour ago, John Martinsen said:

Failing the squirrel and remote control wrench... Remove the stern eye, repair the fibreglass if needed, and rivet on some raised deck fittings for a replacement. 

Ugh, cut a rectangle through the gel-coat/carbon-fiber and push the stern eye out through the bottom. I don't know what the eye is fastened to. Probably some reinforced section. I assume the stern eye looks like this ->http://www.go2marine.com/product/78277F/sea-dog-stern-eye-with-adjustable-finish-nuts.html . I doubt that the rectangular flange on the bottom is just seated up against the bottom of the thin top deck (it's an 18' boat that weighs only 38 lbs.). The repair job for that is doable, but not for me (especially working with carbon cloth).

So far the stern eye is just wiggling a little and I try and avoid any force on it. But it anchors the rear deck lines so there's always some horizontal force on it.

Anyway, before tackling such a big job I'll wait until it breaks loose itself (hopefully, not while someone is doing a T-rescue on me; note to self: practice and practice rolls

Edited by leong

Without seeing what's inside, it's hard to know how to get the stern eye unfastened, so I'm just guessing. You could try getting a photo your cell phone, or put it in video mode and slide it back there. I've done that trying to locate a leak in a skeg box.

To remove it you could probably use a hacksaw to cut the eye in half, and using pliers, see if you can unscrew the now two separate posts from whatever they are attached to inside. If that doesn't work and they just spin, cut through the posts as close to the deck as you can get, and hopefully just push the posts through. If that doesn't work I'd try to drill them out. 

Or try "tightening" it up with a little epoxy, and see how long that holds. You could try calling QCC and see if they have a solution? 

Haven't used it before, but thinking "inside the box (stern)", ?FaceTime on iPhone if you subscribe and know someone who could lend a similar phone.  With a little portable torch of some kind, you might be able to see what you're doing in there, as frustrating as it will surely be, with whatever you have otherwise MacGuyvered!

gary