• 2 years later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/22/2017 at 1:21 PM, Pintail said:

<... what can a motivated and passionate person actually DO to help build the sport and the community>  (You forgot the question mark)  Josko, after two pages of this, I still do not understand why you are so worried or concerned.  I kayak; you kayak; he, she or it kayaks; we kayak; you kayak; who cares whether or not <they> kayak?  This question has been asked for almost as long as I can remember (because of club membership numbers -- decline thereof -- primarily) and, apart from the general trend of things, I guess it is natural that activities such as ours rise and fall in popularity...as Paul or someone pointed out, the high-point was likely way back in the nineties and early years of the new millennium.

I did my time on the BoD long ago and we were discussing this same (perceived) problem back then: are we any the wiser now?  I doubt it!

I want to bring this back after a hiatus because sea kayaker numbers continue to drop. I only met one group in Woods Hole the entire last summer, (and that's in 1000+ miles on the water).  Why do I care - partly because I live in a great paddling area , and there are hardly any sea kayaks on the water.  I miss gathering up 3-4 like-minded souls and sharing a tiderace or destination; sometimes things are more fun in groups. Also, Osprey sea kayaks going up for sale is not a good sign, IMHO. 

Edited by josko