Hole through hull

leong

There’s a small hole all the way through the hull of my carbon fiber kayak. I can’t get to the inside because it’s beneath a glued in seat (which I don’t want to remove). I’d like to inject some low viscosity epoxy  (or something similar) into the hole and than gel coat over the damage. Any suggestions?

-Leon

IMGP7372c.jpg

Leon,

Over the course of my boating life I've used marine-tex for everything from  repairs to an old wooden boat to patching a late season gas tank leak.  I've used it on a sea kayak where I had both gel coat, fiberglass and kevlar (keel strip) involvement.    That repair was two years ago and it is still holding strong. 

http://www.boatrepairandmaintenance.com/marine-tex_products.html

Thanks, David. I found this epoxy putty in my garage. I followed the directions and pushed it into the hole. Doesn't look pretty, but I hope it will work. I'm wondering if water in the cockpit (at the top of the hole) will dislodge it.

-Leon

I would remove the seat and get a little patch on the inside and then fill and polish the outside. Your simple repair would not have enough strength in an area like that to hold up under the stress of another flex.

Glued seats come out easy with a chisel like tool. Work slowly so you don't scratch the inside CF layup.

Many CF hulls flex in the broad areas and I assume yours is lite built? My two cents....

Paul,

I was afraid that might be true. Removing and replacing the seat is probably too difficult for me with this QCC 700X. The seat is suspended above the floor (glued to a hanger on the coaming) and only touches the floor via a lip on the front of the seat that's glued down). I'm afraid to cut through the suspension adhesive and then re-glue it. Yes, it is a super light layup (about 38 pounds ... I ordered it as a custom layup from the factory).

PS

The picture of the hole is exaggerated. I should have put a penny in the picture. The total length of the missing gelcoat is only about 1/2 inch and the hole is about 1/16 inch. So small perhaps it could take the flexing.

IMGP7375c.jpg

Edited by leong

People are probably going to scoff at this, but Gorilla glue mixed with vinegar and baking soda makes a waterproof foam that hardens fairly consistently, enough to act as a backing for a quick repair. Experiment with the ratios a bit to find one that expands well and doesn't have to many air bubbles. Pour the solution into the area and tape over the hole, let it dry, sand it down, then do two layers of glass and epoxy over it. 

https://youtu.be/ggekRdoQJNE