STARS STARS STARS

prudenceb

While some view the 5Star Award as some adrenaline-junkie super-macho ego trip of being able to paddle in stupid crazy stuff, it is so much more about being able to keep your head on straight and think clearly when things get really challenging.  This requires a serious commitment to long-term development of ones personal paddling skills, along with highly effective group management skills, neither of which come easily.  Bob and Kevin (and many others) have worked extremely hard to reach this goal, and they should be proud to have reached this achievement.  Kudos to both of you!

Thank you for the congratulations. A few years back, Dave Corbin passed and posted the following statement that I agree with - especially the last bit.  I'm happy to assist 5* aspirants.

Getting to 5 Star does in fact take a lot of focus and dedication, but it is in my opinion very achievable. When I started on the path 3 years ago it was clear I had a lot of work to do. I got there though, and if it's something that appeals to you, you should give yourself a chance. If I can be of any help, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Bob

Edited by rylevine
typo

Congrats to all, including Little Tim (Gleason) of RICKA, who paddles out of Gloucester some times.   As a maybe gonna do this sometime soonish, what was the hardest part during the assessment?

best

Phil

2 hours ago, Phil Allen said:

Congrats to all, including Little Tim (Gleason) of RICKA, who paddles out of Gloucester some times.   As a maybe gonna do this sometime soonish, what was the hardest part during the assessment?

best

Phil

Hi Phil,

I think for me the hardest part was the night nav. In the spring sunset is at 9:30 or so in Wales, so the night nav was late after a day of on-water assessment and an on-paper navigation exercise (which was interesting but a little tricky). In addition to unavoidable late-night scheduling, it was just miserable weather - cloudy, driving rain, and high winds. Earlier in the week we had paddled large sections of the north Pembrokeshire coast in a series of perfect training paddles designed by John and Nige. During those sessions, I must admit to carefully keeping track of headlands, coves, shore topography, and unusual features trying to get a visual for the night nav. As it turns out, the night nav was along one section we had not covered! This was not purposeful, but just due to conditions and logistics of the paddle.

Bob

"As it turns out, the night nav was along one section we had not covered! This was not purposeful, but just due to conditions and logistics of the paddle. "

Hmmm.  Maybe, but my suspicious mind believes reading this quote will bring a wry smile to the bearded gnome of Boothbay.

Ed Lawson

Edited by EEL