Recommended gadgets/gear

gyork

Always happy to find something new to add to my (nearly) fully-stocked gear loft, I found the need to purchase an insulated bottle for a hot drink, after devoloping a mild chill during a lunch break at the fall Squam trip. I stumbled upon this beauty that keeps drinks too hot for immediate sipping, but works great if prepped before retiring for the night (credit to Rob), for consumption pre-launch and on-water paddling. Truly a one-handed operation, a definite bonus feature. Not a tea or coffee drinker, but a perfect receptacle for my hot maple syrup (diluted of course) "cider".

http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Vacuum-Insulated-Stainless-16-Ounce/dp/B00K7CZHK4/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1420203182&sr=8-9&keywords=16oz+thermos#customerReviews

Other additions to the loft in the past year are Luci solar light and kelty tarp poles.

What handy gadgets/items have you acquired recently that I don't have?

gary

Note: As a minimilast consumer, I make the above recommendation with a small helping of reluctance.

Not sure this is what you have in mind, but I have come to rely on these Mighty Plugs earplugs to help me sleep when near the noise of waves on cobble, or in wind. Also helps with crinkling sounds of other people's sleeping pads or whatever. The regular foam earplugs don't work at all for me. I sent for a trial pack of every kind and size of earplug - some 40 different kinds - and these were the best for me. Close second was Mack's earplugs. Both these plugs mold over the outside of the ear opening, rather than being stuffed inside the canal. There's nothing better than getting a good night's sleep!

Always happy to find something new to add to my (nearly) fully-stocked gear loft, I found the need to purchase an insulated bottle for a hot drink, after devoloping a mild chill during a lunch break at the fall Squam trip. I stumbled upon this beauty that keeps drinks too hot for immediate sipping, but works great if prepped before retiring for the night (credit to Rob), for consumption pre-launch and on-water paddling. Truly a one-handed operation, a definite bonus feature. Not a tea or coffee drinker, but a perfect receptacle for my hot maple syrup (diluted of course) "cider".

http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Vacuum-Insulated-Stainless-16-Ounce/dp/B00K7CZHK4/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1420203182&sr=8-9&keywords=16oz+thermos#customerReviews

Other additions to the loft in the past year are Luci solar light and kelty tarp poles.

What handy gadgets/items have you acquired recently that I don't have?

gary

Note: As a minimilast consumer, I make the above recommendation with a small helping of reluctance.

Gary - that has been my very favorite thermos for the last 8 years. I use mine every day, on the water and off.

I use the Mack's earplugs all the time and they are terrific. Now it could be unique to me, but the plugs tend to cause ear infections so carry a small bottle of ear drying liquid called Swimmer's Ear. A few drops in the ears prior to applying the earplugs and you are good-to-go!

Warren

..... a small bottle of ear drying liquid called Swimmer's Ear. A few drops in the ears prior to applying the earplugs and you are good-to-go!

Warren

You likely have these potions at home to make your own: 1 part vinegar : 1 part rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol

Make your own Prusik loops (youtube/google "how to") by employing double fisherman's bend: http://www.animatedknots.com/doublefishermans/index.php?

Great for shortening up your guy lines to tent or tarp, or hanging a small light or timepiece in your tent from that loop in the ceiling. These loops start with a 12-14" section of mini cord.

post-100430-0-73023100-1420602241_thumb.

post-100430-0-74089400-1420602377_thumb.

I keep a bunch of these lightweight loops in my dop kit.

post-100430-0-48920300-1420602398_thumb.

Here is a demo of the Prusik loop under tension, in simulated conditions, where finger=fly stake, and fly/tarp is to the right. The loop easily slides along the guy line to quickly shorten your stakeout distance (you've parked the back side of your tent close to dense brush, for example).

post-100430-0-09368600-1420602680_thumb.

Edited by gyork

• 7 months later...

I'm with you Gary on being a little reluctant to make recommendations, but several of you kayak campers have tested and approved of the comfort and compact size of Helinox Chair One.

I haven't regretted the cost at ~$99. You can even make new friends by lending it out! ;-)

https://www.helinox.com.au/helinox-chair-one.php

helinox-chair-one-34453.jpg

Weight 2 lb.

Capacity 320 lb.

Assembled size 20.5"W x 19.7"D x 25.6"H.

Packed size 13.8"W x 3.9"D x 4.7"H.

Seat height 13.5".

• 3 years later...

Hard to beat the price of these HEADLAMPS, and claim a discharge of 30h on the white low mode, which is plenty of light around the campground. Not waterproof, but has WHITE HI/Low/Blinking and RED low/Blinking modes. Bought the package of 3 (discounted) and 2 singlets to outfit the whole family. No worries about low batteries with these IF you fully charge your lamps prior to your overnight trips.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DNDMSLY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

g

• 1 year later...

Due to the difficulty of hand washing, I carry disposable gloves (the kind that pull out of a tissue-like box). After using, I remove them inside out and put them in my trash. They don't take up much space and are handy for a variety of circumstances (particularly WAG bag, outhouse...)