Given this:

Twi N: 3:58am
Sunrise: 5:16am
Sunset: 8:21pm
Twi N: 9:39pm
Moonrise: 8:18pm
Moonset: 5:34am
Full Moon: 7:26am

I would like to launch at 7:15 PM to give an hour to get out far enough to see the moonrise over the ocean, as the sun is setting behind us. (My favorite thing in Gloucester.) Then, continue on to Kettle for a stretch break, back during nautical twilight and the moon. Should be off the water by 10:30 PM or so.

Liz

Sounds lovely... I am in a class all day in Boston and my attendance @ the paddle would depend on how close to the end time we actually end (4:30, which would be tight...)

Suggestion.... perhaps post this under "TRIPS" ?

More details:

The launch site is described this way under the put in section of the NSPN website:

Greasy Pole – Take Route 128 N to exit 14, turn right onto Route 133 east. Drive 2.9 miles on Route 133. Turn left onto Route 127 and drive 0.4 mile to the public landing on right. Small parking lot at the landing and street parking along the beach.

Following those directions you will see Gloucester Harbor at the intersection of Rt. 133 and Rt. 127. Turn left and keep the harbor on your right. Cross the draw bridge and pass the fisherman's statue (on your right). Before the road turns left, you will see the boat ramp/parking area on your right. (There is a port-a-john at this location, and a restaurant and ice cream shop across the street.)

To Kettle Island is about 3.25 NM. Assuming we will wander a bit, the whole trip should be close to 8 NM. Anticipate a relaxing pace. Rock play for those interested, with helmets, if we follow the west side. (Norman's Woe may have a calpotis at this tide.) I may have some extra charts I will bring if I can find them.

Weather: SAT NIGHT

S WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT. - If the winds are strong we can paddle out the east side of the harbor and be in the lee most of the trip .

I suggest bringing a paddling jacket for the stretch break and return. It will be a cool evening.

NOTE ON LIGHTING: The coast guard requires that each boat carry a white light that can be shined at other vessels. Personally, I wear a headlamp on my hat but NEVER use lights when paddling at night. When is clear and the moon is full, it almost seems like I want my sunglasses on. If someone wants to use lights on the kayak, that is fine but you will need to paddle in the back so as to not give other paddlers night blindness.

See you there!

Liz