Tentative Rough Water Incident Management Practice

SeaKayakNE

Evening,

I have had the pleasure of paddling with some of you all either in symposiums or meeting somewhere along the way.  For those of you who I have not met or spoke with previously my wife and I are both young and enthusiastic sea kayakers who are working towards our four star.  We are currently trying to come up with a group who would like to spend a day at Fort Wetherill in Rhode Island practicing some rough water/ deep water rescues.

The idea would be to meet at 9:00am in the parking lot for morning briefing and coffee.  From there we will launch and paddle out of the cove and into the first rock feature at the mouth of the cove and work on all types of incident management such as towing, swimmer rescue in rough water, rough water rolling practice and whatever else we can fit in.  If the group feels comfortable we can move to some of the larger features that surround this playground.  If the opportunity presents itself we can have some fun in the rocks and scrape off some gelcoat or plastic depending on your flavor.  This will not be a coached event but more everyone getting together to work with each other, work on technique and bounce ideas off one another.  If some were interested I'd like to assign rolls so everything won't feel too scripted and we can have some fun surprises along the way.  The beauty of this area for those who haven't paddled here, there is not only some super dynamic features but the area offers the ability to paddle back to the launch for breaks and lunch which only takes about five minutes.   I expect we will all be off the water around 3:00pm and can find a local place to eat at and have a drink.
  Please keep in mind the water might still be semi-chilly at this time so I would still recommend donning our drysuits as everyone will most likely swim at one point or another.  Those who are interested please feel free to write back here with questions, comments or concerns. 

Tentative Date is June 10th, however I am open to suggestions on different dates.

Johnathan, this is a really good idea, and am glad you are initiating it. Keep in mind that we are doing a CAM on-water training that day, which will include incident management as well. 

Just wanted to add more follow up information for those who might be interested. 

The trip is now June 18th and is no longer tentative.  All skill levels are highly encouraged to join.  Our plan is to setup two groups.  If you are not comfortable with rescues in a intense environment your are still encouraged to join as one group will start out in a very sheltered environment to work on getting more comfortable.  I also know for some of you this might be a long drive, we are planning on renting a campsite within the Jamestown area on Saturday,  those interested in staying overnight the night before please let me know.  This could be a fantastic opportunity for those who want to work on incident management and the more people involved the more fun we can have!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folk,

Just wanted to check in and see if anyone else is interested in this program,  so far participation is a bit on the lower side and I hope we can get a few more people to join in.  I know this might be a haul for some of you but I promise this will be a fun and educational day on the water.  If you are interested please let me know asap as I will be sending out final details in the next few day.

Jonathan