2017 Solstice Paddle / Potluck / Gear Swap - June 25

rfolster

This is our annual summertime social event which is always held at Riverhead Beach in Marblehead and finishes off with a pot luck party under the pavilion across the street at Devereux Beach.  Traditionally this event is posted as two to three separate paddling trips of differing levels but leaving from the same location, breaking en route for packed lunches.  Although we are not changing that concept, this year we are trying a different approach.

Since many newer members and paddlers don't fully understand what level to place themselves at, and therefore don't know which level trip to sign up for, this year we would like everyone to just sign up for the day.  At the beach, we will have some trip organizers propose a variety of trip choices of varying length and activities.  Examples would be a 15 mile trip out to Bakers Island for some play in heavier seas around the island, a 10 mile trip to Children's Island for some conservative paddling in moderate seas, and a 5 mile trip to Dolliber Cove for those newer to sea kayaking.  Those are just examples, and we may end up with more than three groups if needed.  The actual trips would be designed based on the weather, sea conditions, and the general desires of participants.  Each trip will have leaders of varying levels and all groups will operate under the Common Adventure Model system which asks that all trip members be active participants in the design and execution of each trip to the extent of their abilities.  Therefore, we welcome NSPN members of all skill levels to join this event, and only require a minimum of a sea kayak, paddle, PFD, sprayskirt, food and water.  Even then, if you are lacking something (say a proper ocean kayak with bulk heads), please post what you might need and we will see if someone has one you can borrow for the day.

Parking at Riverhead should be free, but can be busy with dog walker, SUP rentals, and - oh yeah, a bunch of kayakers!  Alternate parking at Devereaux is $15 for the day.  Everyone should be ready to launch by 9:30am, and we will sort people into trip groups at that time.  After the trips (most likely 3:00 - 3:30PM), all groups will pack up their gear, change into warm clothing (be prepared that it tends to be very windy in the afternoon) and collect under the picnic pavilion at Devereaux Beach across the street, and enjoy a pot-luck style beach party for dinner!  NSPN will have plates, bowls, napkins, utensils and some extra serving utensils and serving bowls on hand, so bring your favorite dish (enough to share!), your favorite beverage (no alcohol) and you best kayaking stories to be told.  Non-paddling friends and family are of course also invited to meet up with us.

Also new this year will be a gear swap.  Do you have paddling stuff that you just don't use, but want something else instead?  Bring it along and see if you can make a deal.  Trade some poggies for gloves, or a PFD for a sprayskirt.  Maybe you have a boat that just isn't working for you, this would be a good opportunity to let others take it for a test spin.  Let's just make sure we keep it to kayak related stuff (don't bring that treadmill that has been in your basement for years.  Yeah, we know you have one - everyone does!)

So bring your gear, your love of paddling, a yummy dish to share, and maybe some normal people as well to help us kick-off the summer paddling season in style!!!  RSVP on the calendar, and post here if you have any questions or comments.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A reminder to all that the annual Solstice Paddle is this Sunday, so please RSVP on the calendar so we know who is coming and be ready to launch at 9:30am at Riverhead Beach in Marblehead. I have been trying to double check the parking situation (especially cost) and cannot find anything definitive, so if others have specific parking information, please share.  Also remember that there will be a gear swap as well, so bring your gear (or maybe some cash) and find a new home for that unused kayaking stuff you have.

The site for the beach says no alcohol, glass, or bonfires. There are picnic pavilions with grills available to rent. Sounds as if a little grill would be ok. Wonder if we should look into the pavilions?

Are the pavilions different than the covered area where we usually eat?  I seem to remember seeing charcoal grills there too, so maybe they are the same?  Makes me wonder why we never rented before, but we also have never had any issues using the space. 

Just a reminder that we will probably be running more than one trip depending on what people actually want to do. In the past, we have assigned trips by Trip Level designations, however this year have decided not to "label" the trips, but instead design trips based on those attending and what they want to do.

Weather forecast is trending to be a nice day, with little wind and mild sea conditions. It might be a nice day to tuck as far into the rocks as you possibly dare, or go on a long journey to tour the islands throughout the sound.  If anyone has a particular interest, speak up so we can start discussing and planning. 

I would like to come but have an afternoon commitment in NH so would only come if there were a group that wanted to be off the water by two. Sad to miss the dinner etc. but maybe there are others with a time bind?

I wanted to confirm that I RSVP'ed on the Calendar listing, but my husband Bob and daughter Abby are also coming, both experienced in sea kayaks.  Bob and I were hoping for a experienced but still really out of shape for this time of year type trip, so if you need people to go along on a beginner trip to be helpful if needed, we could do that.  He has a tow line.

Also, would anyone be bringing a grill that we could throw some vegan hotdogs on, if possible?

Thanks,  Elizabeth Williams