Fishers Island May 6th - Cancelled

rfolster

I am planning an ambitious trip out to Fishers Island on May 6th with the idea to work a 4 knot max ebb at The Race around 12:42pm.  Plan would be to paddle out as the ebb builds, and play in the tide race (if it develops) until it gets to be too much, at which time we will break for lunch.  We can then have another play as the ebb dies a bit before heading along the south coast to East Point, at which time we will decide whether or not to ferry across to Napatree Point or not.  Weather might be a factor, so route might need to be adjusted for safety and fun factor, but regardless this trip will not be for the casual paddler.  The total distance as planned will be somewhere between 15-20 nautical miles with strong currents, active crossings, and potential winds as well.

I expect that there are not many in NSPN who are willing to take this on, and even though I am keeping the group size small (maybe four max), I will be looking outside of NSPN as well to find enough people to go.  If you are interested and want to discuss the possibility of joining me, please PM or email robertfolster at verizon dot net.

Actually, Josko has the time for max ebb at Race Point , which is admittedly closer to where we would actual end up playing.

Tidal Currents At Race Point.pdf

My current readings are from The Race, which is a mile and a half west of the currents at Race Point.  My apologies for the confusion, although I don't think that the earlier max ebb time kills the trip.  In reality, the 4-1/2 nautical miles to get there will go pretty quick, and we will still have 15 miles to go from there, so I think that the timing works well.

Regardless, we need to wait to see what the wind does.  If it is blowing strong from the north, this is all pointless as the race will be flattened out and we will be at risk of being blown out to sea.  An east or west wind will dictate which direction we take (clockwise or counter), unless it is too strong to paddle against.  The ideal wind direction will be southerly, as this will create the most excitement while allowing for the most options.

We should start getting a read on the weather over the weekend, and I I hope to have an accurate trip plan at the beginning of next week that I will share with those interested.