Tall ships coming to Boston on June 17th

BethS

I have always wanted to go out to one of the Harbor Islands, camp out overnight, and watch the tall ships come in. Or maybe just launch early and paddle out to meet them. Has anyone done this in the past? Any comments, thoughts, interest? http://www.sailboston.com I know, they parade around the harbor when they get here, but that's nowhere near like seeing them underway!

Edited by BethS

Beth,

I've been thinking of and seriously considering this as well.  It's been on my calendar for some time, although I lack a plan. 

During the bicentennial, my dad, my then six-year old daughter and I went out for the main festivities (Parade of Sail) of Operation Sail and slept overnight in one of the designated areas in the inner harbor.  We did it in a 19 foot day sailor.  It was a spartan experience.  We were dwarfed by a seemingly endless fleet of much larger power and sail boats with stereos, bars and grills with the most alluring of aromas (especially when compared to our hastily bought sub sandwiches).  

While it is a treasured  memory for the three of us, I also remember the vigilance required because behind the official viewing line.  There was a constant jockeying for position and incessant movement among the much larger and more powerful spectator fleet.   That's where those memories intersect with my thoughts of a day paddle at the height of the spectacle. 

For me, the tension is between the obvious safety factor of a smaller and lower profiled craft in the ensuing melee and rarity of this kind of event.

I'm going to catch up on the offered events on the website and may chime back in. 

I'd love to hear other thoughts and options!

What do you think it would be like to be camped out in the outer harbor? Would this even be permitted? I'm not sure which islands allow camping,  and I'm sure plenty of others would be planning the same thing... but still, it would be very wonderful to be there when they arrive... David, do you know what the regs were/are about going out there the day of or the day before? If we had a pod that stuck together, it would be less daunting perhaps than just being one or two surrounded by a horde. How far out/ where are boats allowed to go on the day of? 

Edited by BethS

Hi Beth, David and Sherry,

I am also planning to head out that way on the 17th. I did it decades ago at the first parade of sails and, more recently, joined the crazy fleet of boats following the Constitution turn around. The latter was so dangerous I would not consider being in the flotilla of following boats again.  

David's comments are right on. It can be much more hectic and dangerous than one would imagine with significant boat chop, traffic, and limitations.  Once we get more details we could start brain storming about how to approach it.  Some concerns: keeping a group together among the boat traffic. What level of skills are needed to handle the conditions and distances. Good route planning given any constraints. For example, we could not cross the channel on my first trip.  

We did pull up on a good island, get some elevation, and watch some of the parade from there. That was great. We also found staying away from the viewing line as long as possible as we paddled helped. In other words, move away from the main channel to get some safe distance in.  So there are the normal decisions to be made with any trip plus the complications David point out.

Should be a great day!

Al

PS.  Way back then were so few kayaks that the motor boaters were worrying about us.  Of course most of them were anchored on the viewing line and rocking back and forth so badly that many people were sick. They kept offering us food, drink, and help.  Of course the kayaks rode right over the confused chop and we felt fine but we enjoyed the shared food and concern.