Cohasset - Saturday June 4

cfolster

Launch from Cohasset Harbor 11am

Paddle to Minot Light

Paddle to Little Harbor and play in the ebb for a couple hours

Back to launch around 4 or so

Open to early dinner afterwards

Level 3/4 due to current and distance from landing location

Please post here if you're interested.  Need at least 2 other people to go.

Notes:

• High Tide Cohasset Harbor: 11:13am
  • Be prepared to drop your gear at the launch and move your car a short distance away and walk back
  • Playing in the ebb means approx. 3 or 4 knot current (does anyone know how fast it is?) with a small to medium wave(s)
  • There is no landing at Minot light (approx. 1.8 miles offshore)

Wear neoprene (saving the drysuit for your trip) and borrow a helmet and pfd (I can loan you the pfd).  That way there's nothing to wash (except footwear).

Count me in. I'm new to NSPN, so I should describe my experience level. I have been paddling for about 20 years, class I-V white water, I paddle my Necky Elaho mostly on the Charles River 3 to 4 times/week averaging 4.5 to 5.2 mph for 4-6 miles, so paddling the distance in the conditions you describe is no problem. I have a very solid roll.

Welcome to NSPN Chuck!  We now have enough for the trip - so it is a go  Others are still welcome to join.  Looking forward to paddling with everyone!  Please email your float plan information (name, cell, boat model and color, car model and plate, emergency contact name and phone) to me at:       cathy   folster    at    Verizon   dot net

I will finalize the float plan late Friday afternoon and email it to everyone.

A few more notes:

• This is a CAM trip, so we will paddle together and work together as a group.
  • The buoys indicate 56 to 60 water temps in that area (I've not yet been down there this year), so it's not bad, but still cool.  It's going to be partly sunny in the low 70's, so dress accordingly. 
  • Helmets are required in the current at little harbor.

Hi Cathy-

Don't forget to leave a float plan at the Harbor Master's office (yellow shack near the main harbor bridge).  She likes knowing who's out and has occasionally rushed out to warn folks of thunderstorms and the like.   Have a great trip.

Phil

Thank you Phil! I was planning to do just that.

We now have a 5th paddler joining us on our mild adventure - Bill V. 

I'm going to cap the total at 8, so come on folks, work out those weekend plans! :kayak-surfer:

My husband, who is very familiar with the currents in that area, tells me that Little Harbor runs about 10 knots at full flow. You definitely can't paddle up into Little Harbor at full ebb. Depending on the size of the tide, it can be quite a formidable current with a massive hydraulic mid-stream. Easy enough to pick around in the swirlies at the edges though, for play.

Kate

28 minutes ago, kate said:

My husband, who is very familiar with the currents in that area, tells me that Little Harbor runs about 10 knots at full flow. You definitely can't paddle up into Little Harbor at full ebb. Depending on the size of the tide, it can be quite a formidable current with a massive hydraulic mid-stream. Easy enough to pick around in the swirlies at the edges though, for play.

Kate

Um, I guess I underestimated it!  I wonder if people underestimate current like they  overestimate wave height?

Cathy, pick a conspicuous spot on land or use the edge of the bridge when you pass under it. If the length of your pink boat (~ 16 feet?), which you have to orient parallel to the flow, passes by that point within ~ 1 second, your speed is just under ten knots. Of course, you can't paddle during that measurement.

4 hours ago, kate said:

I did a video some years back of the hydraulic at a high tide ebb. I think it's public (in facebook). Gives you a visual of the flow, to say the least. Found here:  https://www.facebook.com/kate.hartland/videos/vb.1360630236/1050814154850/?type=3

Wow!  I've never seen the ebb looking like that at Little Harbor - but I've only been there a few times...  Hope to see some awesome photos or vids from you guys from your adventure - which I wish I could join, but can't.  Is it expected to run like that tmrw?!