Dreaming of moving water...

Inverseyourself

Andy:

Have you ever thought about spending time WW kayaking?  I suppose it is a question of location, but there is so much decent WW around in NE it would seem an easier venue for playing in current, etc. At least in the Spring.  

Ed Lawson

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 11:05 AM, Inverseyourself said:

I just prefer long boats, at least at present.

And I prefer paddling sports where you can paddle back to the put-in. :lol:

-Leon

Do <I> know? <You> bet Pintail! Well, not the exact spot, mind you. Golfe du Morbihan, on the south coast of Brittany. Look it up on Google (pictures). It appears to be a veritable paddler's paradise. Protected and currents galore I suspect, what with all that water having to leave the Golfe during outgoing tide or whatever complicated tide pattern there may be.

Yeah, that first wave is dreamy. What I would give to live near such a lovely "park and play" spot for some after work or whenever entertainment. You can maybe ask Nico (the guy in the Tiderace) where that is on Vimeo.com (although he may refuse to divulge).

After a little research: This spot is la vague de Berder, which is not a spot by that name but a standing wave (french "vague") along the island of Berder in the Golfe du Morbihan. Here's another picture, obviously at a different time and a slightly different area.

2012-09-01_Courants-du-Golfe_coeff_98_24

Edited by Inverseyourself

It does look like a nice park and play.

All very nice but if you go to Wales you have the support system and comradery of the BCU, easy access and good ale:) I have heard  the French have some funny laws about offshore padding or sailing. Anyone know of this?

Didn't mean to sound like a French tourism agent. But Brittany does have a reputation in sea kayaking. Jeff Allen's Sea Kayaking Cornwall even offers a "rough water week" in Brittany that looks very impressive on their website. Not sure if they have to negotiate any issues regarding French maritime laws, though. And Wales is certainly easier to get to and more user friendly to us.

Edited by Inverseyourself

4 hours ago, Paul Sylvester said:

It does look like a nice park and play.

All very nice but if you go to Wales you have the support system and comradery of the BCU, easy access and good ale:) I have heard  the French have some funny laws about offshore padding or sailing. Anyone know of this?

Paul, 

I believe if under 2nm offshore, not much in the way of restrictions.  Beyond that, they require registered / numbered kayaks and no paddling by oneself.  From what I have read, they do enforce these rules.

9 hours ago, Paul Sylvester said:

I have heard  the French have some funny laws about offshore padding or sailing. Anyone know of this?

Not just France. From Florida Boating Laws:

Is a non-powered vessel required to be registered and titled?

If the non-motor powered vessel is less than 16 feet in length, it is not required to be registered or titled. However, if the vessel is 16 feet or more in length, it is required to be registered and titled.

Accordingly, my 18-foot sea kayak is registered and titled in Florida.

-Leon

<Accordingly, my 18-foot sea kayak is registered and titled in Florida>

Titled?  How, pray, do you address your kayak, then, Sir Leon?  Is it Mister Kayak or Miss -- I mean: Ms.?  ("Curiouser and curiouser", as Alice once said)

8 hours ago, Pintail said:

<Accordingly, my 18-foot sea kayak is registered and titled in Florida>

Titled?  How, pray, do you address your kayak, then, Sir Leon?  Is it Mister Kayak or Miss -- I mean: Ms.?  ("Curiouser and curiouser", as Alice once said)

It’s a different world down here in Florida. I needed a name for registering the kayak so the official name on the title is Mr. Q. I chose that name because it’s my QCC700X kayak. I call my Epic 18X Mr. Ugly because it's one of the homeliest kayaks.

-Leon

PS
Florida wouldn’t accept my bill of sale before issuing a title for Mr. Q.  So I had to get the QCC factory (a division of Wenonah Canoe) to issue a retroactive "Builder’s Certificate".

3 hours ago, Paul Sylvester said:

How much do they charge for this unneeded layer of regulation?

$20/year + $5 once for the title.