Not the best kayak camping trip

jason

Andy,

I'm with you 100%. This is one of my screams. There are sea kayaks, recreational kayaks, floating bathtubs, floating mattresses and floating you-know-whats. Unfortunately, the uniformed media lumps them all together and calls them kayaks. It not only gives us sea kayakers a bad name but it has the potential for introducing bad laws. Unfortunately, there is no unique nomenclature to distinguish sea kayaks and sea kayakers from the rest of those floating vessels. Calling a person that paddles around on an air mattress a kayaker is annoying as hell. It’s analogous to calling a person who walks up a hill a mountaineer.

-Leon

They are giving all kayakers a bad name.   They were able to find not just one but two strainers in a trip?  They were looking for a darwin award.   They really should have to pay for their own rescue.

Well, I'm glad they are safe. Yes, stupid planning, but ignorance regarding water sport has become legion. It's important that we who are not uninformed do not become the Taliban of the kayak world. What can we do to educate the rest and not merely criticize?

The sight of us on the water and this very website has some educational value to those who look. But how do you educate the media to know the difference between a guy walking up a hill and a mountaineer, oops, I meant a pretend kayaker and a sea kayaker?

-Leon