Fog horns to be activated by mariners?

gyork

Can't find any official instructions on the Coast Guard site, but I did find this on the SeacoastOnline.com website:

The MRASS device, which will not affect the sound of the horn, will require mariners to activate the installed sound signal, on demand, by keying a standard VHF-FM radio five times consecutively on VHF channel 83A. After the keying, the signal will then sound for up to 60 minutes following each activation.

Definitely need to check radios to see if they even have a channel 83A! If so, you can be sure that I will be testing it at the first opportunity to see if they activate from a kayak.

Concerning CH 83A; make sure your radio is set to use the USA channels as opposed to the International or Canada channels. It should have been set that way by default, but it can be changed. CH 83A (US) is not the same as CH 83 (International/Canada). CH 83 is one of the few International channels which is duplex, while CH 83A is simplex. All USA channels are simplex. A simplex channel has the transmit and receive on the same freq. while on a duplex channel they are different.

Ed Lawson

Definitely need to check radios to see if they even have a channel 83A! If so, you can be sure that I will be testing it at the first opportunity to see if they activate from a kayak.

All VHF radios have channel 83A. Except to activate MRASS, channel 83A is only for USCG business. Any VHF radio (whether from a kayak, surfski, battleship, swimmer, etc.) can be used to activate the foghorn as long as there's a line-of-sight path to the MRASS receiver.

-Leon

The top ten foghorn sounds are here. Vote for your favorite.

-Leon

PS

I heard that the next release of MRASS will allow you to select your favorite foghorn.

This was the article in the Portland Press Herald earlier this week. We are waiting on the change to be made at Seguin Light Station and I will post more information on it when it is complete on our webpage under Navigating There, the Fog Horn and also on our FB page.

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/11/13/coast-guard-to-provide-update-on-new-foghorn-system/

Julie

Edited by JulieC

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...