Paddle wax

Gcosloy

I'm learning much about my new GP however I have a problem: Years of feathering R at 45 degrees causes the left blade to enter the water not optimally. The only way I can overcome this almost unconcious predicament is to overcome the loom from slipping in my left hand by holding it tightly before entering the water on that side. My carbon GP is slippery however and I thought that paddle wax would help. Does anyone know of a source at a local outfitter? I can order online but the postage is usually equal to the cost of the product itself?

I'm learning much about my new GP however I have a problem: Years of feathering R at 45 degrees with a euro paddle causes the left blade to enter the water not optimally. The only way I can overcome this almost unconcious predicament is to overcome the loom from slipping in my left hand by holding it tightly before entering the water on that side. My carbon GP is slippery however and I thought that paddle wax would help. Does anyone know of a source at a local outfitter? I can order online but the postage is usually equal to the cost of the product itself?

Edited by GCosloy

If your referring to a GP (carbon GREENLAND Paddle) don't wax it if it's carbon fiber. You need some slippage for the strokes. If it's too slippery, take some wet/dry sandpaper to it. It won't shine but won't be as slippery.

Doug

I had a way to slippery Werner C/F paddle.

I solved the problem by using a maroon colored 3M Scotchbrite pad. That is about the same as 400 grit sandpaper. I masked off the area I DIDN'T want roughened, and then once the tape is removed, it looked like it was done by the factory. The hardest part was figuring out what area needed to b done due to the variable hand placements.

In my case, I did about 10" in from the throat on each side.

Good luck!

Gene, a word of warning (this is of course subjective) -- avoid "Sex Wax", commonly used by surf-boarders, I think: it gave me blisters, when I tried it. New England Small Craft always sold a good one...(cannot remember the brand name, though).

Last poster wrote: "I had a way to slippery..." and I <assume> meant "I had a way-too slippery..."? I suppose that that is what "texting" does to you? It took me a few moments to work it out. Oh, dear...

Last poster wrote: "I had a way to slippery..." and I <assume> meant "I had a way-too slippery..."? I suppose that that is what "texting" does to you? It took me a few moments to work it out. Oh, dear...

Be careful Sir Christopher. You can use too many hyphens and be suspended from this bulletin board. I wouldn’t want that to happen to you. Something similar happened to this author.

Anyway, I’m turning a blind eye to what low and middle hyphenator NSPNers have to say on this thread.

Or should it be, “Anyway, I’m turning a blind eye to what low- and middle-hyphenator NSPN-ers have to say on this thread”?

-Leon

• 2 weeks later...

Report: I used surf wax on my GP for a paddle yesterday and it really improved the grip but even with light NRS gloves I developed blisters on the inside of my thumbs. I think the stuff is too rough for my purpose. Goo be Gone has removed it and I'll go back to slippery and if I still have difficulty I'll do the fine sanding method. Thanks for all your help and warnings!

Edited by GCosloy