Level 4 Leadership Practice - Sunday 8/23

rfolster

Looking for competent paddlers to join me on Sunday August 23rd for a Level 4 ocean journey somewhere between Salem Mass and York Maine, with the location to be determined based on group, weather, and conditions. Journey will most likely be 10 nautical miles or more, and might involve crossings up to 2 miles, winds up to 25 knots, seas up to 4', current up to 4 knots, although I would be surprised to encounter two of these conditions, let alone more, but we can always hope!

Trip planning will focus on a balance of maximizing conditions and minimizing danger. This will be a hybrid CAM/Leader-Lead trip where I (and others who wish to join in on the process) will be taking on a strict leadership role to guide the group, but participants are encouraged to take an active interest in the trip as they may be called upon to perform leadership tasks as well. This journey is not restricted only to those seeking leadership certification, but preferably to anyone who might enjoy the excitement that a more aggressive environment provides. Opportunities to practice rescues, group management, and other incident management situations will be available, and participants should be prepared to go into the water. To be clear, this is not a training, but a chance to practice personal and group skills that are already being developed.

Please read the Level 4 trip description to make sure that you are comfortable with the requirements, then PM me with interest and paddling skill level. Participation may need to be limited in order to maintain safety, but I will try to get everyone on the water.

• 4 weeks later...

Sunday is looking good with manageable winds10k or less, showers likely (meaning no beating sun!) and, best of all, some lumpy, bumpy seas! Plan is to launch from Odiorne and head up the north coast towards Brave Boat Harbor for lunch. Would like to launch at 9am to be off the water earlier so as to avoid Sunday traffic. Trip is around 12 nautical miles, and we might consider taking the back channel from Brave Boat if people get tuckered from the outside trip. Please post interest here.

We FINALLY get a weekend where the ocean isn't flat calm, and this morning they added possible thunderstorms to the Sunday forecast. Based on the weather from the past few days, I would say there is a very good chance that there will be thunderstorms! Therefore, we are cancelling the trip, which will probably mean that we actually get awesome weather. Oh, well!