2015 Blackburn Challenge Results

leong

Congratulations to fellow NSPN-ers Sid Cohen (2’nd place) and John Stevens (3’rd place) in the Fast Sea Kayak (FSK) class of the Blackburn Challenge. It was the roughest race since 2000 with 4-5 foot seas.

Transmission problems prevented my other training partner, Lisa, and myself from competing this year.

-Leon

I forgot to mention that Captain Bev Bernard and Co-captain Ben Zorfas won the SK doubles class. Congratulations guys. Bev mentioned that it was so rough out there that a double scull broke in half. Bev is another of my training partners.

Also, I forgot to mention that Sid Cohen rescued a surf ski and still managed a second place finish.

Darn it, I shoulda entered the race, recuperating arm and all. I can’t forget the similar 2000 race that was even rougher. I rescued a surf ski too and then capsized a little later. I rolled up just as Sara Evertaon approached to rescue me. She said it was like being in a washing machine out there.

-Leon

PS

Here's a video of the race.

Edited by leong

It was quite a day, my first Blackburn experience, I'm glad to hear that others were finding it challenging as well. Congratulations to Sid and John, definitely a major accomplishment!

Personally I was happy just to finish... It was a lot of fun though, in spite of the endless headwinds. In a couple of weeks I'll probably be thinking about doing it again next year.

Edited by BethS

Congratulations to them all! Those times against stiff headwinds and rough waters are amazing. A First, a Second, and a Third - way to go, guys!

Complete results are here.

-Lisa (who definitely would have placed first, as there were NO - I mean ZERO - FSK women this year. Ugh)

Nice video showing conditions is here. I see John Stevens at 27:10, and Sid at 23:38. Not sure about Bev or Beth...

In a couple of weeks I'll probably be thinking about doing it again next year...

Yes, Beth, we need you! There aren't enough women in this race! Congratulations on your first race - you sure picked a doozy...

-Lisa

Nice video. No one is getting any glide into that headwind. They are crawling. Very tough. Would have taken my Explorer over my FSK had I entered.

Leon, There was another year around 03 that was rough also. The beam sea got the best of me and I went into Rockport. Finished the race by taxicab...:)

Good times,

Nice work everyone! It was indeed a tough race :) Amazed that Sean Brennan pulled a 2:37 on the day -- he must log time on a mechanical bull or something.

As an aside, I'd love to see Lisa and Beth jump into surfskis! You would love them, and the women's class for our local series (Tuesdays @ 6:45pm, Lynch Park) would benefit from having you race with us :)

Hi Matt,

Congratulations on your fabulous time.

You might be interested in my latest post comparing surfskis to kayaks here.

Feel free to attack it.

Respectfully,

-Leon

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, and congrats again to Bev, Ben, Sid, John, and everyone else for their amazing times. Next year I will try to go at least a little faster. You've got me dreaming!

Hi Matt,

Congratulations on your fabulous time.

You might be interested in my latest post comparing surfskis to kayaks here.

Feel free to attack it.

Respectfully,

-Leon

Hi Leon -- great writeup! No attacking from me, although I did post a response :)

Cheers,

Matt