Walden Pond Skills and Stupid Kayak Tricks Sessions

Lbeale

Looking to start the much-talked-about Walden Pond Skills Sessions starting the first Wednesday in June, 6/3/15.

Feel free to join me and others for kayak fun and festivities starting around 5:30 pm and off the water when the ranger yells at us about 7:15 or so --

The sessions are free but there is a charge for parking at the boat launch (about 5 buckaroos each time) -- season's pass is highly recommended.

Les

Looking to start the much-talked-about Walden Pond Skills Sessions starting the first Wednesday in June, 6/3/15.

Feel free to join me and others for kayak fun and festivities starting around 5:30 pm and off the water when the ranger yells at us about 7:15 or so --

The sessions are free but there is a charge for parking at the boat launch (about 5 buckaroos each time) -- season's pass is highly recommended.

Les

Looking forward to that!

:paddleersmilie:

I plan to be there most weeks. Does anyone else want to start a week or two early? I'd like to practice some rescues before the end of the month.

Looks like the daily fee went up: Daily Parking Fee: $8 MA Vehicle, $10 non-MA Vehicle

I'd very much like to come. I need substantial practice time with wet exits and rescues (my boat is a very beamy, very stable folding double and I've never capsized it, though I admittedly have stuck with calmer waters in the past). Is there a place there to change into a wetsuit? It takes about an hour to dry and pack my boat--will there be time or do the rangers really kick you out at 7:15?

The park closes at 7:30. They will lock the gate with you and your car inside at 7:31. From the boat launch parking area where we meet, you could walk 5 minutes to the changing room at the main swimming beach, or just duck behind your car with a towel to change discreetly.

And just to clarify, the boat launch gate gets locked 1/2 hour before the main lot. As the summer goes on the park closing time gets adjusted for the shorter day.

Best

Phil

Les

Thanks Les - I'm looking forward to this. I too would be interested in starting earlier May 20 or 27? I have an annual park pass, but I've never parked outside of the main lot - is there parking at the boat launch?

-Bob D.

Edited by BigBird

Yes, if you've got a parking pass (or have paid for a day parking pass at the main lot) you can drive east a block or two and then turn right down a rutted gravel road to the boat launch area. There's parking for a dozen cars or so there.

If weather is nice next Wednesday (a week from yesterday), I'd be up for starting Walden early! Those interested should post interest, and we can decide by Tues if conditions will be favorable.

Also, strongly recommend getting season pass. It's good not only for Walden but also DCR properties, including a discount at Crane's Beach!

pru

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone get started on these sessions early?

I'm very interested in doing this as a regular thing starting next week if a 9am tooth extraction permits :-(

I'd very much like to get some coaching on Greenland style canted forward strokes, if anyone is up to it.

Cheers,

John

Is anyone planning to go to this tomorrow Wed? The weather looks OK, i'm planning to go if anyone else will be there; i need to do a roll or 2, it's been months!

Beth

I just had my first training in wet exits and self rescues! Need more practice. If I came to one of these, would it be possible to borrow someone's boat for this purpose? Or is that the kayaking equivalent of asking to borrow someone's underwear?

Matt, you may want to drop off your boat at the boat launch and then park up at the main lot. This will give you an extra half hour to get your boat and gear put away. I'd think the real benefit of these sessions is learning techniques in your own boat.

Talked to the ranger at Walden tonight - she said the water's already in the mid to high 70's. Lots of people in the water without wetsuits. So I guess wetsuits are optional for Wednesday?

If you're going to be in the water a lot early in the season - even if water getting warm - it's a good idea to have something - not necessarily a wet suit - to keep you warm when you're wet and the sun has set on the part of the pond you are practicing in. Lots of wet exit practice is a lot more comfortable when you're nice and toasty than when you're not.

No dress code for sure at this time of year. Just be sure you're going to be warm enough.

pru

I currently expect to be Walden bound tomorrow (Wednesday, June 3rd, 2015). I will try to be a regular again this year, though I may have more family obligation conflicts this summer than in past years.

For those new to Walden, I just played around with Google Maps and created this custom map showing the following places.

Main Parking Entrance: You purchase your parking pass at the main parking lot entrance. Most regulars purchase a season pass, which is much more convenient than waiting in line during the peak season. We rarely park in the main parking lot unless we arrive late, or need the bathroom facilities in the main parking area.

Boat Ramp Entrance: There is a gravel driveway on the other side of the road just a bit south of the main parking lot which leads to the boat ramp.

Boat Ramp: Only cars with boats or handicapped tags are supposed to use the limited boat ramp parking. Be nice to the rangers, most of whom will react by being quite nice. Though a few are very "by the book" grumpy types. As previously mentioned in this thread, the rangers announce the boat ramp will be closing usually 20 to 30 minutes before it closes. The rangers close the boat ramp parking lot, and the in-gate for main parking, half an hour before the main parking lot closes.

Beach Bathhouse: There are also larger bathroom/changing facilities at the main beach, a short walk from the boat ramp, though with more limited days and hours.

We usually practice here: An initial pod of kayaks usually launches around 5:30pm. If you get there late, no problem, just paddle to the other end of the pond from the boat ramp where you will usually find us practicing out of sight from the boat ramp.

I hope I see lots of you there this year!

-Bill Voss

Last night at Walden there was a few hardy souls who showed up to practice skills--upon our arrival, we were told that there was no swimming due to high bacteria count. Did I say we were "hardy souls"? To prove how hardy, we paddled to the middle of the lake where supposedly there is less bacteria do practice rolling. I, being not so hardy, worked on strokes--forward, back, bow rudder, turn boat 360 with the least amount of strokes (n=4)--hoping for (n=2) by the end f the summer--

Next week hope to work more on strokes and rolling-- join us--

Hello BigBird,

Yes--please come and people will help you develop wet exit skills--new to kayaking folks always welcome to skills sessions--

Just remember to dress for submersion if you want to do wet exits--

Les

Edited by Lbeale