Portsmouth 5/2

rfolster

Planning a counterclockwise circumnavigation of New Castle from Odiorne with a lunch stop at Four Tree Island on Saturday May 2nd. Tide is flooding before lunch, ebbing after. Round trip is about 8mi give or take, so proposing a 10am launch to return around 3pm. Weather and sea state will determine trip level, but water temps will struggle to hit 50 degrees, so drysuits are highly recommended.

Please post interest here and PM float plan info to me.

Forecast for this weekend is moderate winds opposing large seas which will make this trip as planned a Level 4 requiring maximum boat handling skills. Therefore, I am proposing a route change to paddle from Odiorne to Four Tree through the inner islands finding whatever lee we can along the way. This would mean often paddling into the wind while dealing with wind chop as well for the first half of the day, and potentially surfing in following waves in the afternoon. Although Inner Harbor and the inner island area are very well protected from the sea, the other factors of wind, cold water, and potentially cool day will still categorize this as a strong Level 3 trip.

We will need a minimum of three participants to make this trip happen, so please post interest here by the end of Wednesday so that I can make other arrangements if this trip is called off. Thanks!

Bob,

Right now the coastal forecast for Saturday is gnarly. Conditions calm down on Sunday. Any chance of moving the trip a day forward? Also, if Saturday is fixed-its only Tuesday-sometimes the forecast changes later in the week. What is the last day/time you need a confirmation for a go/no go? End of Wednesday may not show much change!

Edited by GCosloy

Gene, you are correct that Sunday is looking better, and the weekend as a whole is looking less ominous. There is definitely a chance that we could keep this a Level 2 trip if conditions hold. Someone has privately expressed interest in paddling on Saturday, and I am awaiting a response about Sunday, so I will extend the cutoff to end of the day Thursday to get a better sense of what the weekend will actually look like and who else is interested in going.

With the reduction in sea state and wind, we could consider having a look outside the break wall (either by car before we launch, or stop at the beach and climb the break wall, or even paddle to the harbor entrance and have a look from the seat of our boats) to see if doing the original trip is an option. That might provide a moment of excitement in an otherwise quiet day.

Wow, the weather forecast is on a real roller coaster! If you don't like the weather in NE, just wait a minute, it will change!

Got more interest about the trip today, so let's continue to plan on the original trip parameters and I will confirm tomorrow night.

So, trip is on with the original plan. PM your float plan info if you plan to go on the trip, and plan to be ready to launch before 10am so we can do a beach briefing.