WS Tsunami 140 vs Kestrel 140?

somango

Hello,

I'm about to buy my first kayak (used) and have been researching for the last month or so. I will be purchasing either the Tsunami 140 or Kestrel 140. I've posted a few questions on paddling.net and have received invaluable information there. I'm located in Cape Ann and thought it would be a good idea to get some advice from people who have paddled the area. Thanks in advance.

Hi, can you tell me what you would like to do with your boat? Where do you want to paddle? And tell me about your experience kayaking.

I think this is what Katherine is thinking:

The Kestrel 140 and the Tsunami 140 are both recreational class kayaks that are suitable for paddling in protected flat water. Both are too short and too wide for paddling in the frequent wind and waves found on the ocean and they are not efficient for covering long distances.

So if you plan to paddle in the ocean you need a sea kayak. However, a sea kayak has a longer learning curve. But for all kayaks, it’s especially important to master the skills needed to rescue yourself and others after a capsize.

-Leon

Actually Leon, only the Kestrel is a rec kayak. The tsunami is a short high volume sea kayak with front and read bulkheaded compartments and a day hatch. It's fine for putting your self out around the ocean side of harbors and poking about. It has a significant moderate v-hull and is much more seaworthy than many suspect. That said, it's high volume and 14 feet long, so it's never going to be fast or efficient in traveling distances.

Somango, Katherine is asking the correct questions. How do you envision using your soon to be acquired boat?

best

Phil

Thanks for the replies.

@ Katherine- I just want something to paddle around close to shore to hone my skills. I'm eyeing a used Tsunami from a local kayak shop for about $900. My experience is minimal, but I've always felt pretty comfortable the few times I've been out.

@ Phil- I think your right about the Kestrel being a rec kayak. Cockpit is too big. Like I said above, I will mostly be using it close to shore, coves, etc, but I'm not ruling out poking around the essex river, maybe taking it north on a lake if I head up there for a summer trip.

You probably know this already – the Tsunami has the reputation of having one of the most comfortable seating arrangements around.

If you're usually a solo paddler or accompanied by someone in a similar hull style, the Tsunami would be fine for your described purposes. Many, many people have bought it for that reason. However, if you're likely to paddle often with folks who are in longer, leaner hulls, you may find it dispiriting to try to keep up. You may also know that it is available in lengths up to 17'6", but the longer you go, the harder it may be to find a used one. The vast majority are sold in the 140 and 145 versions.

Do you want a boat with a rudder? If you want to hone your skills you might do better without a rudder.

What size boat would fit you? It's not about length, but cockpit size and displacement. A light paddler in a high volume boat won't sink the hull enough for good stability.

You could stay within WS plastic boats with those comfy seats and consider a Zephyr or a Tempest. A Zephyr is a more playful boat, easier to turn, while a Tempest is more of a go straight boat. Either would carry you farther through your learning than a Tsunami.

If you're at all serious about the sport of sea kayaking, a Tsunami would be a wring boat for you. You'll be wanting to get rid of it very soon.

If they are so bad, why does the kayak shop where I'm getting it prefer the tsunami line for their fleet? I'm just looking for a little something to have some fun in. Not trying to become a world class, professional sea kayaker.

They use Tsunamis for their rental fleet so that people with no experience can go out and have a nice 3 hour paddle. Their guides paddle Zephyrs (except for one who paddles his own Tempest and a couple of others). There's a Zephyr 160 posted for sale here that could be a really nice choice for you.

If they are so bad, why does the kayak shop where I'm getting it prefer the tsunami line for their fleet?

Probably because of high initial stability and comfort. Most renters are complete novices and they might capsize in a longer and sleeker kayak.

Edited by leong

I'm just looking for a little something to have some fun in. Not trying to become a world class, professional sea kayaker.

Last time I checked, kayaking is a recreational activity for most of us. So if it seems fine after trying it out, just buy the boat, paddle it, and have fun.

That said, learning a few things via paddling with some knowledgeable folks or taking a couple of lessons sooner rather than later is a very good idea. Also be prepared for the possibility you will become interested in going farther and into more active water at which time you will see the need for a different boat. No big deal and happens all the time which is why getting a used boat is a good idea. No big deal if you don't either. More important to be out enjoying whatever part of the ocean you care to spend your time on in the way you want to spend it.

Ed Lawson

Who took years figuring out what boats he tentatively likes.

At 190lbs the zephyr 160 might actually be too big for you.

No matter what kayak you buy you'll probably want a different one within a year or so, so don't sweat it.

I would rate the north shore Atlantic above the Tsunami.

Fiberglass for $1300? http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/4966105054.html

That one is short and playful

Fiberglass for $1000? http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/4952824916.html

That one is a straight and fast kayak

There's also a glass aquanaut for $1600 but that might be too high for you, although I would say it's the better choice.

Don't rush, try a few, make a list and wait.

Hello,

I'm about to buy my first kayak (used) and have been researching for the last month or so. I will be purchasing either the Tsunami 140 or Kestrel 140. I've posted a few questions on paddling.net and have received invaluable information there. I'm located in Cape Ann and thought it would be a good idea to get some advice from people who have paddled the area. Thanks in advance.

Somango,

Notwithstanding all the good advice and suggestions in this thread, if you still want an answer to the original question you should probably choose the Tsunami 140 over the Kestrel 140. That’s because the Kestrel 140 is a recreational style kayak and is much less suitable for the ocean than the Tsunami 140 which is a starter sea kayak.

Happy paddling,

-Leon