Sea Kayak Camping Workshop

rfolster

Most people enjoy the freedom and connection with the environment that both kayaking and backpacking provide. For some of us, we have combined the two by loading our kayaks with all we need for an overnight stay on a local island, or a multi-week adventure in remote locations. No matter which is your preference, kayak camping takes the adventure to a whole new level! NSPN will be holding another annual Sea Kayak Camping Workshop as a means to introduce the sport to those who have camped but never kayaked, those who have kayaked but never camped, and even those who have never kayaked or camped, but are interested in both.

This year, we are trying a new approach: We are going to unpack a fully loaded kayak, and set up a complete campsite, discussing gear options and packing methods as we go. With the help of a few volunteers, we will have several examples of tents and shelters, sleeping bags and pads, cook stoves and cookware, tarps, drybags, food, and so on. The idea of the workshop is not so much what people need to buy, but instead providing people with the information they need to make their own decisions about how they select their gear.

When: April 26th from noon to about 4pm

Where: Gould Barn, 1 Howlett Street, Topsfield, MA

Parking: On-street or across the green (we cannot use the church parking lot)

Cost: Free!

RSVP and Questions can be sent to skcw@nspn.org

Additional volunteers to provide gear and assist during Q&A sessions welcome.

Rob, My apologies, something has come up and I am not going to be free this day after all, I'm sorry! If there is anything I can do before the event though to help with logistics, or if you need to borrow anything (like you don't already have it all, but still just in case!) let me know. Sorry to have to poop out on this.

Beth

Rob-one topic you haven't listed and one that I encourage you to consider is "how to carry a loaded camping kayak safely". I'm sure this must seem so obvious and yet surely belongs in the category of physical safety. One wouldn't have a discussion of paddle strokes without considering what can go wrong with a poorly executed high brace. As some of our members age and begin to have joint problems or even joint replacements, two person carries of a loaded kayak sometimes over slippery rocks becomes more problematic and can lead to injury. I'd like to recommend 4 person carries as a standard method for all NSPN camping trips.

Edited by GCosloy

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like we may have over 30 attendees for next weekends workshop! Let's hope for good weather so that we can hold it outside. Look forward to seeing some of you there.

We should have a really good turnout since we have over 45 attendees signed up for Sunday's workshop!

We have been given permission to park in the church parking lot after 11:30am, which is a definite bonus. Hope to see some of you there!

<Rob if you need more volunteers for this event I'm happy to assist>

Tut tut, Beth: are you withdrawing your volunteering duties? ;^)

I am otherwise occupied this Sunday, unless the winds turn easterly, so cannot attend or offer assistance...

Yes, I actually pooped out several weeks ago (see above!) I am canoeing in Run of the Charles tomorrow (I originally got my dates mixed up and thought they didn't conflict..) Hope it goes well, sounds like you will have lots of people!

Thanks to Pru, Bob, and Cathy for helping out yesterday, and to Doug Hopkins and Doug Mogill for providing additional gear. Nice to see some NSPN people there as we had a good size crowd from different clubs with a wide mix of interests and I received plenty of positive feedback.

Wonderful workshop-thanks to all the participants, particularly Bob who's presentation was great and Kathy who worked to provide great treats for the hungry among us. I had to leave early and regret whatever nuggets of information I may have missed.