Third Annual Easter Plunge 4/5/15

rfolster

What started out as an oddly-scheduled cold water practice session has become a season-opening event for the truly shoulder-season hardy folk! Water temperature is just nudging past 36 degrees, and this year there will most likely still be snow on the ground at the launch.

This is an open-format CAM (Chocolate Adventure Model) event to be structured around the wants and needs of the participants. For seasoned cold-water paddlers, it is a chance to get your gear on and get the rust out. For those who have seldom or never paddled in cold water before, be forewarned, as we are headed into the most dangerous part of the year - warmer days but still very cold water. This is a dangerous combination, and you must be prepared to dress for the water conditions, not the weather. Review this link to read about hypothermia and ways to treat and prevent it.

Date: Sunday, April 5th 2015

Time: Probably around 10:00am - 3:00pm with room for adjustment

Agenda: Depends on participants, but possible events include a pre-paddle hypo/cold water discussion and comparison of hypo-gear, immersion test of drysuits and gear, cold-water rescue practice, and most likely a short to medium paddle.

What to bring:

- Boat, paddle, spray skirt, PFD, and any other typical paddling gear you want (paddle float, tow belt, ect.)

- Drysuit (no wetsuits!!) with both wicking and insulating layers underneath (bring extras - there will be chances to adjust)

- Neoprene cap and neoprene gloves (again, bring options to experiment with)

- Durable footwear to protect drysuit socks (closed design neoprene or rubber boots for example)

- Warm land-based layering (insulated jacket, gloves, hat, wind block, etc.)

- Hot lunch, hot beverage, high energy snacks such as trail mix, chocolate, etc.

- Extra water

- Hypo-kit if you have one (follow link for previous discussion)

What not to bring:

- Cotton anything!! Not even underwear - go without instead! All materials should be wool, down or synthetic.

- Sandals, clogs, or other open or partially open footwear

Post here if you are interested and/or have any questions. Final destination and times will be sent via email or PM, so please let me know if you plan to attend. Looking forward to seeing old friends and new faces for the start of another great season!!

I'm planning to be there. I did a cold water clinic with CRCK and some early-season whitewater paddling last year, but put me in the "seldom or never paddled in cold water before" camp.

Do rabbit ears from an old TV count as appropriate headgear?

Do rabbit ears from an old TV count as appropriate headgear?

Dan, if you can figure out how to attach them to your head, have at it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Weather may be a factor for Sunday as long-range forecast currently has us tucked in between to low pressures on Saturday and Monday. A shift either way will give us precipitation, and although maybe more mild temperatures, still challenging if winds pick up. If Sunday stays dry, then the other factor is that it will be cold, most likely below normal, although maybe not as windy. Sea state also seems to be just as chaotic.

However, this is New England, so if you don't like the weather, just wait a minute, it will change! I recommend that people start looking at the forecasts by Wednesday and get a sense of what is going on in order to start coming up with a game plan. The past two years we have gathered to paddle in Salem Sound, so concentrate your weather forecasting for that area, as well as up and down the coast for options in case we need to find a more sheltered area to play in.

Pru,

15 mph southwest to west sustained winds and up to 28 mph wind gusts are predicted. These are along shore for most of the north shore. Probably could find cover in nooks and crannies north of Manchester, but also possible slog coming back, for example crossing Lobster Cove area. I'm game for whatever people decide with the option to pull the plug if too gusty. A more conservative paddle would be out of Riverhead in Marblehead in the lee along the M'head shore up to Brown's Island. Assess situation as we go to decide to round the tip or just enjoy rock gardens at Peachs Point. "Plunges" could occur in Doliber Cove or, if we decide to go to M'head tip, there are plenty of coves for practice under the mansions. Would suggest mentioning our efforts to the harbormaster so was not to inflame the locals. Take a look:

http://graphical.weather.gov/sectors/massachusettsMarineDay.php#tabs

HT at 12:50 so plenty of water around Doliber.

Bob

The "final" trip details have been sent to the group via the Private Message system, so if you would like to join us, please PM me or post here and I will add you to the thread.