Cape Ann camping considerations

New to the board. Planning a two day trip around Cape Ann on May 11 and 12. We were planning on camping at Thatchers, but they do not open until June. Does anyone know if we can camp there during the off season. We do not need any facilities and we are carry in/ carry out. Also, does anyone know of a different spot to camp.....even if it is right on the beach? Thank you kindly.

Since the Thatcher Island Association requires reservations to camp on the island, and they have specific dates that the island is available to the public, I would have to say that camping on the island outside of that time frame would be seriously frowned upon and highly recommended against. Unfortunately I do not know of any other locations to camp in the area, although others may know better.

New to the board. Planning a two day trip around Cape Ann on May 11 and 12. We were planning on camping at Thatchers, but they do not open until June. Does anyone know if we can camp there during the off season. We do not need any facilities and we are carry in/ carry out. Also, does anyone know of a different spot to camp.....even if it is right on the beach? Thank you kindly.

You might just think of it as a day trip. Paddling around Cape Ann used to be my default day trip when I wasn't able to find other people to paddle with.

Yes I tried that....Paul St. Germain the Assoc. President felt as though it would be best if we did not camp off season. We'll find a spot I am sure. Thanks for the replies all.

Cape Ann Campground is close to Wingaersheek beach; but is on the wrong side of the road and I know nothing about where you might take out/put in; but look up their campsite. (It is on the left-hand side of road that leads to the beach, going from Rte. 128 -- there <is> some sort of access close by; but I have never seen it) Every summer the place is filled with Canadian campers and they tell me they love the spot (clean, cosy, all that sort of thing)

I wouldn't recommend camping on Cape Ann commando style. It just isn't that kind of place. Way too many people to tuck in somewhere unobtrusively. Save Cape Ann for the day trips and head a bit further north for an overnight.

• 2 weeks later...

Cape Ann Campground is very near Long Wharf Town Landing – Take route 128 to Exit 13, Concord Street. At end of ramp, left on Concord for 0.8 mile. Turn right onto Atlantic Street (signed for Wingaersheek Beach) and drive 0.8 mile to the Long Wharf Town Landing on the right – free parking at the landing. If they will let you camp that early, it should work.

If that does not work contact me directly via PM. You can set up your tent on my deck and haul your kayak up on my rocks - near Lanes Cove. Liz