Newfoundland to Labrador in 2 Hours

cfolster

Please join us on Thursday January 15th

as

Melissa Meyer and Josko Catipovic will present their recent paddling expedition in North Labrador

and Kate Hartland will present her recent solo paddling expedition in Fortune Bay, Newfoundland

6:30-9pm at Newbury Canoe and Kayak

291 High Road, Newbury, MA

Refreshments at 6:30, presentations begin at 7

PPPO's ( post paddle pig outs, or , in this case , pre-paddle pig outs, or pre- presentation pigouts)

were for many years part of the societal fabric of NSPN but seem to be in a bit of decline, or gestation .

the obvious PPPO venue for this event is the American Barbecue , a few miles south of there off of rte 1a.

Really enjoyed both presentations. Kate continues to amaze with her independent solo trips - truly inspiring. Always says "anyone" can do but it takes a really strong person to do such a committing independent trip.

Melissa and Josko's Labrador presentation was great but not quite as "doable"! From the 6 day travel to/from to the logistics and preparation for a 6 week trip without re-provisioning. I was super jealous of their ability to make the time to do the trip! I am a bit leery of the black flies and mosquitoes though. They appeared to be worse (if it's even possible) than summer in Newfoundland. Although, I would go back to Newfoundland in a heartbeat and the bugs didn't seem to phase Melissa and Josko.

I did think of one question to ask on the way home - What is the purpose of the "food tent"? I understand the food was stored there. Was it stored in bear proof containers? Was it also a cooking tent rather than using a tarp for cooking under?

Thanks again for Newbury Canoe and Kayak for hosting. Awfully nice of them to get the room set up and make snacks amidst the big renovation project!

Suz

FWIW, the 'food tent' is there to give a bear a primary target other than bodies in sleeping bags. It doubled as a changing area, and was intended as a cook tent, but we were never actually forced to cook in it, although we did shelter from a thunderstorm in it once. We had one 'bearproof' food container, intended to give us a minimal food supply in the event of loosing all the rest. IMHO, the 'bearproof' container looked like a bear chewy toy, but fortunately never got tested.

Bugs weren't much of an issue. Most of the days, I didn't bother apply insect repellent, and only wore a headnet on 2-3 occasions. Melissa was apparently a little more delicious, though.

Edited by josko

I really enjoyed presenting to the very receptive audience (every one of whom is able to do that Fortune Bay trip!) and enjoyed even more hearing Melissa and Josko's talk. True wilderness expedition, done with a lot of planning and no small amount of guts, to a place that I've dreamed about for awhile now. I especially appreciated the glimpses into past lessons learned, and how they influenced this trip.