Self-stick velcro

josko

I'm trying to stick a couple self-stick 2" wide velcro strips to the insides of my Explorer (just ahead of the seat) to hold a pump. I'm wondering if people found that self-stick pads stay on, or whether they need to be backed up with some other sort of glue such as contact cement. Or would I be better off with Epoxy and some padeyes?

Edited by josko

I've used self-stick velcro for things like that and it seems to work OK. You could always try it and then glue it back on if it fails.

In a case where the velcro adhesive isn't strong enough (as happened to me when I used it to hold in my seat), adding more adhesive doesn't work as well as you might think, because you still have the old adhesive on the velcro side. For that I had to buy velcro with no adhesive. Then I used Aquaseal.

I like Aquaseal because it's removable. Yes, I know it's hard to work with, but that can be overcome (store in freezer, warm tube in hot water before use, outline area with masking tape, never use straight from the tube so the cap threads don't get gluey, always coat both sides, then wait, then glue, like it says in the directions, use popsicle sticks to spread, use cheap disposable gloves and change glove if you get glue on your fingers, have paper plate and trash nearby to put gluey stuff on/in). I mean, it's not like epoxy is all that easy to work with, we're just more used to it. I don't like the idea that my kayak is filling up with bits and bobs left over from "bright" outfitting ideas that didn't work out, and Aquaseal comes off reasonably well with some patience, a hair dryer, a utility knife, and something to rub with.

Lisa

I have had good luck using marine epoxy on both velcro strips (pump under bulkhead) and d-ring/PVC attachment points (6L dromedary in front of the seat)

Meant to say "under cockpit roof", not bulkhead.

In my experience, the adhesive on the standard Velcro won't hold long-term if it's under tension, such as if a pump is hanging from it. Also, in cold conditions, the hook portion will often separate from the adhesive, leaving a sticky pad on the surface. Using other adhesives (Lexel, GOOP, epoxy) to improve the bond can help, but the hook side of Velcro is molded polyethylene and most adhesives don't bond to it well. Scuffing the backside with sandpaper helps somewhat. The loop side is woven and porous, and I find that most adhesives work fine with it.

There are Velcro-like products that use high-bond acrylic adhesives, such as 3M Dual Lock, but they can be hard to find. You can identify these products easily, as they are thicker, the "hook" side is comprised of pegs with flared ends and the mating part is either identical or is a very heavy loop pile. On a clean surface, these bond pretty aggressively.

for what it's worth, I hold my pump in place (during camping trips, when hatch space is at a premium) with heavy-duty self-stick velcro strips attached to cockpit floor. I put it there 3 or 4 years ago and it's still there. I wouldn't count on it to hold the pump in surf, but it has served the purpose for me for a handful of multi-day trips.

for what it's worth, I hold my pump in place (during camping trips, when hatch space is at a premium) with heavy-duty self-stick velcro strips attached to cockpit floor. I put it there 3 or 4 years ago and it's still there. I wouldn't count on it to hold the pump in surf, but it has served the purpose for me for a handful of multi-day trips.

It works OK in that application because there isn't any constant strain on it, unlike if you use it to hang the pump under the deck. I did the same thing in my first kayak. For anyone contemplating this, I recommend putting the 'hook' side on the hull for a couple of reasons:

• Whatever is placed on hull is going to get full of sand and salt, and it's a lot easier to get it out of the 'hook' than the tight pile of the 'loop'.
  • If the hook is on the pump, it will snag on other items when you transport it in your gear bag.