Solstice Paddle Update!

PeterB

Solstice paddle update !

Here’s a single post with an overview of this Saturday's Solstice Paddle . For details on individual paddles, please refer to the individual level trip posts. If you have questions , post there or contact initators by PM

The Solstice is a traditional NSPN event . There are three paddles: a level 3 Trip, a level 2+ Trip, and a level 2 Trip.

The Level 3/3+ Trip leaves earliest , is out the longest, goes the farthest.

The Level 2 Trip stays in protected waters, usually around the Dolliber cove area, and leaves latest.

The Level 2+ Trip is in between, traditionaly goes to Salem Willows and back.

Something for everybody!

The plan this year is to avoid large groups on the water, so each level trip will be prepared to break into smaller groups/ "pods" , preferably @ 8 paddlers each group. That will be sorted out during the beach briefing.

Be ready for the day (dressed for the wate , with boat and personal gear ready) at the time of the beach briefing.

All trips leave from Riverhead Beach, Marblehead.

Level 3 Trip:

Suz Hutchinson and Galen Carey: Initiators

Jason Kates and Bob Clarke will be ready lead a pod.

Beach briefing at 10:00 AM

Level 2+ Trip:

Rob Hazard: Initiator

Doug Mogill,Sal Puglisi, Leslie Beale, and Peter Brady will be ready to lead a pod.

Beach briefing is at 10:30

Level 2 Trip:

Brian Wells: Initiator

Al Coons, Gillian Kirstel, Bill Gwynn and Kevin Beckwith will be ready to lead a pod.

Beach briefing is at 11:00 am

Paddles return 3 PM-ish, after which people get dressed, square away boats and gear , and filter across the road to the pavilion on Devereaux beach for the Grand Potluck. Bring good food and strong beverages! :jig:

Looking forward to seeing everybody!

Level 2 Trip:

Brian Wells: Initiator

Al Coons, Gillian Kirstel, Bill Gwynn and Kevin Beckwith will be ready to lead a pod.

Beach briefing is at 11:00 am

LEVEL 2 IS THE PLACE TO BE!!!!!!! Wohoo, can't wait for the weekend!

I'll be happy to help out on Level 2 or 2.5. If neither needs the help I'll go with Level 3 where I may need some help. If I go on Level 2 can I wear my helmet too?

Hey Gene,

L2+ might be just about right. if we split into groups, an option Doug and I had discussed for one pod was (conditions and group permitting) going around Marblehead Neck & back to Devereaux Beach i.e return to the scene of the first CAM on- the- water workshop. You could then wear your helmet. But Willows is a nice trip too.

Hey Gene,

L2+ might be just about right. if we split into groups, an option Doug and I had discussed for one pod was (conditions and group permitting) going around Marblehead Neck & back to Devereaux Beach i.e return to the scene of the first CAM on- the- water workshop. You could then wear your helmet. But Willows is a nice trip too.

I may be totally wrong on this, and the trip from Riverhead to Devereaux is a nice one, BUT the reason we were able to land en masse on Devereaux was because it was before Memorial Day, the kick-off of the beach season in most coastal towns.

Somehow, I can't see the lifeguards, especially if there are lots of swimmers and little kids in the water, which is a likely scenerio given the predicted temps Saturday, being overjoyed at a fleet of kayaks landing, no matter how skilled or considerate the paddlers may be.

Now perhaps I'm wrong and the Solstice Paddle has landed on Devereaux for the past decade, but it's a thought. It might be worth a phone call to the Park and Rec department in Marblehead to find out, just to prevent any unpleasantness on any group's part.

Deb M :surfcool::roll:

Parking -

Since there are usually paddlers who are new to this put-in, and the parking guards often do not actually know the parking rules from time to time, it might be good to let participants know that:

(1) Directions to the put-in are at http://www.nspn.org/put_ins.htm

(2) We launch from Riverhead Beach - on the left. You will first see the commercial parking lot to your right. Do not park there. There is a charge. Instead park on the left through the small opening. If a parking guard comes over and asks for a fee, explain that it is a public put-in and that there is no fee. Ask them to speak to their supervisor if there is a problem. They are not trying to scam you, they just don't always know.

Al

Thanks everyone for the wonderful time. I enjoyed touring some of your stomping grounds and sharing the fabulous food afterward. PPPO for sure! I am grateful for those needed items I picked up from your leftover/extra gear sale as well; the timing couldn't have been better as they will be put to good use next weekend :) It was a GREAT day! I'll be sure to come visit again.

Thanks a million,

-Lora

Wild Turkey